Article history: Received: 12-10-2016, Accepted: 21-02-2017, Published online: 04-04-2017
Corresponding author: E. Kurnianto
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.orgCitation: Wijayanti D, Setiatin ET, Kurnianto E (2017) Study on postpartum estrus of guinea pigs (Cavia cobaya) using Anredera cordifolia leaf extract, Veterinary World, 10(4): 375-379.
Aim: The purpose of this study was to determine the postpartum estrus cycle of guinea pigs (Cavia cobaya) using Anredera cordifolia leaf extract.
Materials and Methods: Materials used were 8 males and 8 females of C. cobaya with body weight ranged 400-450 g. Mating ratio applied was 1:1. Treatments given were 0, 10, 50 and 90 mg of A. cordifolia leaf extract/head, designated as T0, T1, T2 and T3, respectively. Two females were subjected for each treatment. A. cordifolia leaf extract was administered orally from 10 days prepartum to 10 days postpartum. Observation of mating behavior, vulva morphology, and vaginal smear preparation was done in the afternoon for 10 days subsequence postpartum. Data were analyzed by univariate method and descriptively.
Results: The results showed that the addition of A. cordifolia leaf extract 50 mg orally could accelerate the time of postpartum estrus based on the average frequency of mating behavior consisting of behavioral approach, allow the buck to sniffing her, mating positions, standing heat, lordosis position, and copulation. During estrus, vulva morphology was red color, had much mucus and no thin membrane covering vagina. There were a lot of superficial cells on vagina.
Conclusion: The best treatment to accelerate occurring postpartum estrus was the addition of A. cordifolia leaf extract as many as 50 mg/head weight (T2) orally.
Keywords: Anredera cordifolia, Cavia cobaya, estrus cycle, postpartum.
1. Angel, D.E., Morey, P., Storer, J.G. and Mwipatayi, B.P. (2008) The great debate over iodine in wound care continues: A review of the literature. Wound Pract. Res., 16: 6-21.
2. Shukrimi, A., Sulaiman, A.R., Halim A.Y. and Azril, A. A. (2008) Comparative study between honey and povidone iodine as dressing solution for Wagner type II diabetic foot ulcers. Med. J. Malaysia, 63: 4-6.
3. Yakubu, A.S., Abubakar, A.A., Salihu, M.D., Jibril, A. and Isah, I. (2010) Comparative analysis of chlorhexidine gluconate, povidone iodine, and chloroxylenol as scrubbing solution. Br. J. Pharmacol. Toxicol., 1: 93-95.
4. Ariani, S., Loho, L. and Durry, M.F. (2013) (Anredera cordifolia (Ten.) Steenis) leaf property on the formation of granulation tissue and re-ephitelization of open wound healing of rabbit skin). eBM, 1: 914-919.
5. Djamil, R., Wahyudi, P.S., Wahono, S. and Hanafi, M. (2012) Antioxidant activity of flavonoid from Anredera cordifolia (Ten.) Stennis leaves. Int. Res. J. Pharm., 3: 241-243.
6. Mulaudzi, R.B., Ndhlala, A.R. and Staden, J.V. (2015) Ethnopharmacological evaluation of a traditional herbal remedy used to treat gonorrhoea in Limpopo province, South Africa. S. Afr. J. Bot., 97: 117-122. [Crossref]
7. Wahjuni, S. (2014) Anti-hipercholesterolemia of Anredera cordifolia in hypercholesterolemia rat wistar through decrease of malondialdehyde and 8-hydroxy-diguanosine. IJBS, 8: 4-7.
8. Agrawal, A.D. (2011) Pharmacological activities of flavonoids: A review. Int. J. Pharm. Sci. Nanotechnol., 4: 1394-1398.
9. Astuti, S.M., Sakinah, M.A.M., Andayani, R.B.M. and Risch, A. (2011) Determination of saponin compound from Anredera cordifolia (Ten) Steenis plant (Binahong) to potential treatment for several diseases. J. Agric. Sci., 3: 224-232. [Crossref]
10. Miladiyah, I. and Prabowo, B.R. (2012) Ethanolic extract of Andredera cordifolia (Ten). Steenis leaves improved wound healing in guinea pigs. Univ. Med., 31: 4-11.
11. Kusumawati, D. (2004) Bersahabat Dengan Hewan Coba. Gadjah Mada University Press, Yogyakarta. p28-48.
12. Purwasih, R., Setiatin, E.T. and Samsudewa, D. (2014) The effect of Anredera cordifolia (ten.) Steenis supplementation on uterine involution process evaluated by oestrus post partum behavior and ferning. J. Indonesian. Trop. Anim. Agric., 39: 17-22. [Crossref]
14. Leigh, O.O., Raheem, A.K. and Olugbuyiro, J.A.O. (2010) Improving the reproductive efficiency of the goat: Vaginal cytology and vulvar biometry as predictors of synchronized estrus, breeding time in West African dwarf goat. Int. J. Morphol., 28: 923-928. [Crossref]
15. Bacha, W.J. and Bacha, L.M. (2000) Colour Atlas of Veterinary Histology. 2nd ed. Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, Philadelphia. p221-238.
16. Steel, R.G.D., Torrie, J.H. (1980) Principles and Procedures of Statistics. 2nd ed. McGraw-Hill Book Company, New York.
17. Limaa, S.M., Yamadaa, S.S., Reis, B.F., Postigoa, S., Galvao da Silva, M.A. and Aoki, T. (2013) Effective treatment of vaginal atrophy with isoflavone vaginal gel. Maturitas, 74: 252-258. [Crossref] [PubMed]
18. Sveberg, G., Refsdal, A.O., Erhard, H.W., Kommisrud, E., Aldrin, M., Tvete, I.F., Buckley, F., Waldmann, A. and Ropstad, E. (2011) Behavior of lactating Holstein-Friesian cows during spontaneous cycles of estrus. J. Dairy Sci., 94: 1289-1301. [Crossref] [PubMed]
19. Chuang, M., Lin, Y.S. and Hou, W.C. (2007) Ancordin, the major rhizome protein of Madeira-vine, with trypsin inhibitory and stimulatory activities in nitric oxide productions. Peptide, 28: 1311-1316. [Crossref] [PubMed]
20. Sukandar, E.Y., Fidrianny, I. and Adiwibowo, L.F. (2011) Efficacy of ethanol extract of Anredera cordifolia (Ten) Steenis leaves on improving kidney failure in rats. Int. J. Pharm., 7: 850-855. [Crossref]
22. Vinothapooshan, G. and Sundar, K. (2010) Wound healing effect of various extracts of Adhatoda vasica. Int. J. Pharm. Biol. Sci., 1: 0-6.
23. Neves, A.L.A., Komesu, M.C. and Di Matteo, M.A.S. (2010) Effects of green tea on wound healing. Int. J. Morphol., 28: 5-10. [Crossref]
24. Tshikalange, T.E., Meyer, J.J.M. and Husein, A.A. (2005) Antimicrobial activity, toxicity and the isolation of a bioactive compound from plants used to treat sexually transmitted diseases. J. Ethnopharmacol., 96: 515-519. [Crossref] [PubMed]
25. Hubrecht, R. and Kirkwood, J. (2010) The UFAW Handbook on the Care and Management of Laboratory Animals. 8th ed. Wiley, Chichester. [Crossref]
26. Feyen, B., Soom, A.V., Nauwynck, H., Devriese, L.A., Decostere, A., Catry, B., Dewulf, J. and Kruif, A.D. (2004) The vaginal microflora and Canine herpesvirus 1 antibody titers throughout the estrous cycle of breeding bitches. Vlaam. Diergeneeskd. Tijdschr., 73: 260-268.
27. Doraiswami, S., Johnson, T., Rao, S., Rajkumar, A., Vijayaraghavan, J. and Panicker, V.K. (2011) Study of endometrial pathology in abnormal uterine bleeding. J. Obstet. Gynaecol. India, 61: 426-430. [Crossref] [PubMed] [PMC]
28. Pessina, M.A., Hoyt, R.F.Jr., Goldstein, I. and Traish, A.M. (2006) Differential regulation of the expression of estrogen, progesterone, and androgen receptors by sex steroid hormones in the vagina: Immunohistochemical studies. J. Sex. Med., 23: 804-814.
29. Lorenzen, E., Agerholm, J.S., Grossi, A.B., Bojesen, A.M., Skytte, C., Erneholm, K., Follmann, F. and Jungersen, G. (2016) Characterization of cytological changes, IgA, IgG and IL-8 levels and pH value in the vagina of prepubertal and sexually mature Ellegaard Geottingen Minipigs during an estrous cycle. Dev. Comp. Immunol., 59: 57-62. [Crossref] [PubMed]
30. Bachmann, G.R., Lobo, R.A., Gut, R., Nachtiqall, L. and Notelovitz, M. (2008) Efficacy of low-dose estradiol vaginal tablets in the treatment of atrophic vaginitis: A randomized controlled trial. Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol., 111: 67-76. [Crossref]31. Attia, M.A. (1998) Cyclic changes in genital organs and vaginal cytology in cynomolgus monkeys (Macaca fascicularis). DTW. Dtsch. Tierarztl. Wochenschr., 105: 399-404. [PubMed]