Article history: Received: 11-08-2017, Accepted: 14-11-2017, Published online: 25-12-2017
Corresponding author: W. P. Lokapirnasari
E-mail: email@example.comCitation: Lokapirnasari WP, Dewi AR, Fathinah A, Hidanah S, Harijani N, Soeharsono, Karimah B, Andriani AD (2017) Effect of probiotic supplementation on organic feed to alternative antibiotic growth promoter on production performance and economics analysis of quail, Veterinary World, 10(12): 1508-1514.
Aim: The purpose of this study was to know the production performance and economic analysis in quail which use probiotic supplementation to alternate antibiotic growth promoter (AGP) to feed consumption, water consumption, egg production, egg mass, feed conversion, and feed efficiency.
Materials and Methods: About 240 quails (Coturnix coturnix japonica) at 14 weeks of age were completely randomized into four treatments, each treatment consisted of six replications and each replication consisted by 10 heads. The treatment was T0 (organic feed without AGP and without probiotic), T1 (organic feed + 0.001% AGP), T2 (organic feed + 0.005% probiotic in feed), and T3 (organic feed + 0.005% probiotic in drinking water). The probiotic consist of 1.2x105 CFU/g of Lactobacillus casei and Lactobacillus rhamnosus.
Results: The results showed that the probiotic supplementation both in feed and water give a significant impact to feed consumption, water intake, feed conversion, feed efficiency, and quail day production, but no statistical difference of egg mass. The T3 also show the most profitable business analysis, which has the best result in income, profit, break-even point, return cost ratio, benefit-cost ratio, and return on investment.
Conclusion: It can be concluded that giving 0.005% probiotic in drinking water to get the best egg production and profit.
Keywords: antibiotic growth promoter, economic analysis, probiotic, production performance, quail.
1. Suherman, A.F., Natsir, M.H. and Sjofjan, O. (2015) Effect of Lactobacillus probiotic plus addition in flour form as afeed additives to quail production. fapet, 1-8.
2. Daud, M., Piliang,W.G. and Kompiang, P. (2007) Percentage and carcass quality of broiler with probiotics and prebiotics supplementation on feed. J. Ilmu Ternak Vet., 12(3): 167-174.
3. Kannan, M., Karanakaran, R., Balakrishnan, V. and Prabhakar, T.G. (2005) Influence of prebiotics supplementation on lipid profile of broilers. Int. J. Poult. Sci., 4(12): 994-997. [Crossref]
4. FAO, WHO. (2002) Joint FAO/WHO Working Group Report on Drafting Guidelines for the Evaluation of Probiotics in Food. FAO, WHO, London.
5. Fuller, R. (1989) Probiotics in man and animals. J. Appl. Microbiol., 66(5): 365-378.
6. Chiang, S.S. and Pan, T.M. (2012) Beneficial effects of Lactobacillus paracasei subsp. Paracasei NTU 101 and its fermented products. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol., 93(3): 903-916. [Crossref] [PubMed]
7. Salminen, S., Wright, A.V. and Ouwehand, A. (2004) Lactic acid Bacteria: Microbiologycal and Functional Aspects, Revised and Expanded. 3rd ed.. Marcel Dekker, Inc. New York. p177. [PubMed]
8. Rahayu, E. and Purwandhani, S. (2007) Isolation and selection of Lactobacillus potential as probiotics. Agritech, 23(2): 67-74.
9. Amaravadhi, S.C., Mallam, M., Manthani, G.P. and Komireddy, K.R. (2012) Effect of dietary supplementation of probiotics and enzymes on the haematology of rabbits reared under two housing systems, Vet. World, 5(12): 748-753. [Crossref]
10. Kusriningrum, R.S. (2008) Trial Design. Airlangga University Press, Surabaya. p15.
11. Suroso, Kalsum, U. and Wadidi, M.F. (2016) Effects of probiotics encapsulation addition to feed consumption, egg production and feed efficiency in quail. J. Peternakan, 1(2): 1-5.
12. Astuti, F.K., Busono, W. and Sjofjan, O. (2015) Effect of liquid robiotics addition in feed to the production in broiler. J. PAL, 6(2): 99-104.
13. Nahashon, S.N., Nakaue, H.S. and Mirosh, L.W. (1996) Performance of single comb white leghorn fed a diet supplemented with a live microbial during the growth and egg laying phases. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol., 57(1-2): 25-38. [Crossref]
14. Shareef, A.M. and Al-Dabbagh, A.S.A. (2009) Effect of probiotic (Saccharomyces cerevisiae) on performance of broiler. Iraqi J. Vet. Sci., 23(3): 23-29.
15. Yan, W., Sun, C., Yuan, J. and Yang, N. (2017) Gut metagenomic analysis reveals prominent roles of Lactobacillus and cecal microbiota in chicken feed efficiency. Appl. Sci. Rep., 7: 45308. [Crossref]
16. Nikpiran, H., Vahdatpour, T., Babazadeh, D. and Vahdatpour, S. (2013) Effects of Saccharomyces cerevisiae, thepax and their combination on blood enzymes and performance of Japanese quails (Coturnix japonica). J. Anim. Plant Sci., 23(2): 369-375.
17. Babazadeh, D., Vahdatpour, T., Nikpiran, H., Jafargholipour, M.A. and Vahdatpour, S. (2011) Effects of probiotic, prebiotic and synbiotic intake on blood enzymes and performance of Japanese quails (Coturnix japonica). Indian J. Anim. Sci., 81(8): 870.
18. Aduku, A.O. (2004) Animal Nutrition in the Tropics Typeset. Davon Computer and Business Bureau Zaria, Nigeria. p10-31.
20. Williams, C.L., Tabler, G.T. and Watkins, S.E. (2013) Comparison of broiler flock daily water consumption and water-to-feed ratios for flocks grown in 1991, 2000-2001, and 2010-2011. J. Appl. Poult. Res., 22(4): 934-941. [Crossref]
21. Pambuka, S.R., Sjofjan, O. and Radiati, L.E. (2014) Effect of liquid probiotics mixed culture supplements through drinking water on laying hens performance and yolk cholesterol. J. World's Poult. Res., 4(1): 5-9.
22. Herlinae . and Yamima . (2016) Effectiveness of different packaging probiotics on growth and production of quail (Coturnix Coturnix japonica). J. Trop. Anim. Sci., 2: 95-100.
23. Sathya, C. and Muragian, P. (2015) Effect of dietary supplementation of probiotic and Curculigo orchioides rhizome powder on egg quality parameters and biochemical composition of Japanese quail (Coturnix coturnix japonica). Int. J. Adv. Pharm. Biol. Chem., 4(1):162-170.
24. Patel, S.G., Raval, A.P., Bhagwat, S.R., Sadrasaniya, D.A., Patel, A.P. and Joshi, S.S. (2015) Effects of probiotics supplementation on growth performance, feed conversion ratio and economics of broilers. J. Anim. Res., 5(1): 155. [Crossref]
25. Pereira, S.A., Jeronimo, G.T., Costa Marchiori, N., Oliveira, H.M., Owatari, M.S., Jesus, G.F.A., Garcia, P., Nascimento Vieira, F., Martins, M.L, and Mouri-o, J.L.P. (2016) Autochthonous probiotic Lactobacillus sp. in the diet of bullfrog tadpols Lithobates catesbeianus improves weight gain, feed conversion and gut microbiota. Aquac. Nutr., 23: 910-916. [Crossref]
26. Rahayu, I., Sudaryani . and Santosa, H. (2011) The Complete Chicken Guide. Penebar Swadaya, Jakarta.
27. Bharoto, K.D. (2001) Duck farming method. CV Aneka Ilmu,Semarang.
28. Sultoni, A., Malik, A. and Widodo, W. (2006) The effects of various manufacturer concentrate to feed optimization, hen day production and feed conversion. J. Protein. 14(2): 103-107.
29. Wahyu, J. (2004) Poultry Nutrition Science. 5th ed. Gadjah Mada University Press, Yogyakarta.
30. Kaye, J., Luka, S.J., Akpa, G.N. and Adeyinka, I.A. (2017) Egg production pattern of Japanese quail (Coturnix Coturnix Japonica) in northern guinea savannah zone of Nigeria. Int. J. Innov. Res. Adv. Stud., 1(4): 93-97.
31. Kulsum, U., Soetanto, H., Achmanu . and Sjofjan, O. (2012) Influence of probiotic containing Lactobacillus fermentum on the laying performance and egg quality of Japanese quail. Int. J. Poult. Sci., 11(4): 311-315. [Crossref]
32. Yousefi, M. and Karkoodi, K. (2007) Effect of probiotic Thepax® and Saccharomyces cerevisiae supplementation on performance and egg quality of laying hens. Int J Poult. Sci., 6(1): 52-54. [Crossref]
33. Mahdavi, A.H., Rahmani, H.R. and Pourreza, J. (2005) Effect of probiotic supplements on egg quality and laying hen's performance. Int. J. Poult. Sci., 4(4): 488-492.
34. Guclu B.K. (2011) Effects of probiotic and prebiotic (mannanoligosaccharide) supplementation on performance, egg quality and hatchability in quail breeders. Ankara Univ. Vet. Fak. Derg., 58(1): 27-32. [Crossref]
35. Balevi, T., Ucan, U. S., Coskun, B., Kurtoglu, V. and Cetingul, S. (2000) Effect of a commercial probiotic in the diet on performance and humoral immune system in layers. Hayvancylyk Arap Derg., 10(1-2): 25-30.
36. Ha, C.G., Cho, J.K., Lee, C.H., Chai, Y.G., Ha, Y. and Shin, S.H. (2006) Cholesterol lowering effect of Lactobacillus plantarum isolated from human feces. J. Microbiol. Biotechnol., 16(8): 1201-1209.
37. Alfikri, S.N., Susiningsih, W., Nimas, M.S. and Irfan, H.D. (2013) Study of Technical and Financial Aspects of Ducks Hybrids Farm Development in Saonada farm in Jombang (Thesis), Faculty of Agricultural Technology. Brawijaya University, Malang.
38. Abdurofi, I., Ismail, M.M., Kamal, H.A.W. and Gabdo, B.H. (2016) Economic analysis of broiler production in Peninsular Malaysia. Int. Food Res. J., 24: 761-766.
39. Singh, A.K. (2016) An Economic Analysis of Broiler Production in Jaunpur District of Uttar Pradesh, India (Doctoral dissertation) Institute of Agricultural Sciences. Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi.
40. Sahzadi, T.M.S., Kalsoom, U.E. and Shahzad, K. (2006) Growth performance and feed conversion ratio (FCR) of hybrid fingerlings fed on cottonseed meal, sunflower meal and bone meal. Pak. Vet. J., 26(4): 163-166.41. Soepranianondo, K., Sidik, R., Nazar, D.S., Hidanah, S., Pratisto . and Warsito, S.H. (2013) Entrepreneurship. Airlangga University Press, Surabaya. p192-197.