Article history: Received: 24-11-2016, Accepted: 31-05-2017, Published online: 29-07-2017
Corresponding author: Zehor Halfaoui
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.orgCitation: Halfaoui Z, Menoueri NM, Bendali LM (2017) Serogrouping and antibiotic resistance of Escherichia coli isolated from broiler chicken with colibacillosis in center of Algeria, Veterinary World, 10(7): 830-835.
Aim: Colibacillosis is considered as one of the major bacterial infections in avian pathology. The excessive use of antibiotics reduced their effectiveness, which eventually led to the risk of emergence of antibiotic resistance. The aim of this study was to isolate, identify and serotype the pathogenic Escherichia coli strains and to determine their antibiotic susceptibility.
Materials and Methods: A total of 180 samples from different organs of broilers with colibacillosis lesions were collected (liver, spleen, lung, and heart) in center of Algeria. The isolation and identification of E. coli were carried out using conventional techniques. Then, these strains were serotyped and tested over 13 antibiotics.
Results: A total of 156 strains of E. coli were isolated. Serotyping results showed that 50 strains belong to 3 serotypes (23 for O1, 11 for O2, 16 for O78) which represent 32% of isolates. The antimicrobial susceptibility test, presented high level of resistance to tetracyclines (94.12%), flumequine (91.5%), sulfamethoxazole-trimethoprim (88.89%), enrofloxacin (86.27%), nalidixic acid (85.62%), ampicillin (83.01%) and doxycycline (75.81%), medium level resistance to chloramphenicol (39.22%), and amoxicillin-clavulanic acid (43.13%). All the strains were susceptible to cefotaxime, excepting three, which presented an extended spectrum β-lactamase (ESBL). In addition, the results of multi-resistance showed that all the strains were resistant at the minimum to two antibiotics and 66.66% of strains were resistant to at least seven antibiotics.
Conclusion: The antibiotic resistance continues to rise at an alarming rate, and the emergence of ESBL is considered as a threat for public health.
Keywords: Algeria, antibiotic resistance, broilers, colibacillosis, Escherichia coli, serogrouping.
1. Robineau, B and Moalic, P.Y. (2010) A topical disease in avian production : colibacillosis . Bull. Acad. Vet. fr., 163 (33): 207-212. [Crossref]
2. Guerin, J.L. and Boissieu, C. (2008) Colibacillosis or infections with Escherichia coli. National Veterinary School of Toulouse.
3. Brugere picoux, J. and Silim, A. (1992). Avian pathology manual 1st ed. National Veterinary School of Alfort. 237-239.
4. Stordeur, P. and Mainil, J. (2002) Avian colibacillosis . Ann. Med. Vet., 146: 11-18.
5. LutfulKabir, S.M. (2010) Avian colibacillosis and salmonellosis: A closer look at epidemiology, pathogenesis, diagnosis, control and public health concerns. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health, 7(1): 89-114. [Crossref] [PubMed] [PMC]
6. Sojka, W.J. and Carnaghan, R.B.A. (1961) Escherichia coli infection in poultry. Res. Vet. Sci., 2: 340-352.
7. Dho-Moulin, M. and Fairbrother, J.M. (1999), Avian pathogenic Escherichia coli. Vet. Res., 30: 299-316. [PubMed]
8. Messai, C.R., Ait-Oudhia, K., Khelef, D., Hamdi, T.M., Chenouf, N.S. and Messai, M.R. (2015) Serogroups and antibiotic susceptibility pattern of avian pathogenic Escherichia coli strains responsible for colibacillosis in broiler breeding farms in the east of Algeria. Afr. J. Microbiol. Res., 9(49): 2358-2363. [Crossref]
9. Aggad, H.Y., Ammar, A., Hammoudi, A. and Kihal, M. (2010) Antimicrobial resistance of Escherichia coli isolated from chickens with colibacillosis. Glob. Vet., 4(3): 303-306.
10. Blanco, J.E., Blanco, M. and Mora, A. (1998) Serotypes of Escherichia coli isolated from septicemic chickens in Galicia (Northwest Spain). Vet. Microbiol., 61: 229-235. [Crossref]
11. Benameur, Q., Guemourb, D., Hammoudi, A., Aoudia, K., Aggad, H., Humbletf, M.F. and Saegermang, C. (2014) Antimicrobial resistance of Escherichia coli isolated from chickens in West of Algeria. Int. J. Sci. Basic Appl Res., 13(1): 366-370.
12. Cheikh N. (2010) Anatomo-clinical and bacteriological study on suspected cases of avian colibacillosis in Dakar and Thies regions (Senegal). . Cheikh Anta Diop university of Dakar, Inter-States School of Sciences and Veterinary Medecine Dakar.
13. Rahimi, M. (2013) Antibiotic-resistance profile of avian pathogenic Escherichia coli isolates recovered from broiler chicken farms with colibacillosis in Kermanshah province, Iran. Glob. Vet., 10(4): 447-452.
15. Levy, S.B., Fitzgerald, G.B. and Macone, A.B. (1976) Changes in intestinal flora of farm personnel after introduction of a tetracycline-supplemented feed on a farm. Engl. J. Med., (11): 583-588. [Crossref] [PubMed]
16. John.G Bartlett, Larry, A. Bustetter, Sherwood L. Gorbach, Andrew B. Onderdonk (1975) Comparative effect of Tetracycline and Doxycycline on the occurrence of resistant Escherichia coli in the fecal flora. Antimicrob Agents Chemother Jan; 7 (1): 55-57.
17. Blanco, J.E., Blanco, M., Mora, A. and Blanco, J. (1997) Prevalence of bacterial resistance to quinolones and other antimicrobials among avian Escherichia coli strains isolated from septisemic and healthy chiken in Spain. J. Clin. Microbiol., 35(8): 2184-2185. [PubMed] [PMC]
18. Gay, E., Jouy, E., Chazel, M., Meunier, D., Haenni, M., Calavas, D. and Madec, J.Y. (2010) Contribution of the Resapath to the problem of antimicrobial resistance in animal health: Analysis of the data collected in 2008 on Escherichia coli in various animal sectors. Epidemiological bulletin n 36.
19. Maure, D. (1986) Pharmacological and Toxicological Study of Colistin. Applications to Neonatal disaeases of the calf. Doctoral thesis. University Claude Bernard Lyon.
20. Joshi, S., Singh, R. and Singh, S.P. (2012) Antibiotic resistance profile of Escherichia coli isolates from colibacillosis in and around Pantnagar, India. Vet. World, 5(7): 405-408. [Crossref]
21. Dierikx, C., van Der Goot, J., Fabri, T., van Essen-Zandbergen, A., Smith, H. and Mevius, D. (2013) Extended-spectrum-β-lactamase-and amp-β-lactamase-producing Escherichia coli in Dutch broilers and broiler farmers. J. Antimicrob. Chemother., 68(1): 60-67. [Crossref] [PubMed]
23. Berthod, D and Pouget, R. (2012) Resistant enterobacteria : explosion of extended spectrum beta lactamase. Rev Med Suisse. [PubMed]
24. Meguenni, N., Le Devendec, L., Jouy, E., Bounar-Kechih, S., Bakour, R. and Kempf, I. (2012). Molecular characterization of avian E.coli ESBL producers isolated from the central region of Algeria.University Mouloud Maameri Tizi Ouzou. Poster 32 nd interdisciplinary meeting of anti infectious chemotherapy, Paris.
25. Leverstein-Van Hall, M.A., Dierikx, C.M. and Cohen-Stuart, J. (2011) Dutch patients, retail chicken meat and poultry share the same ESBL genes, plasmids and strains. Clin. Microbiol. Infect., 17: 873-880. [Crossref] [PubMed]26. Faure, S. and Perrin-Guyomard, A. (2009) Impact of therapeutic treatment with β-lactam on transfer of the blactx-m9 resistance gene from Salmonella Enterica serovar virchow to Escherichia coli in Gnotobiotic rats. Appl. Environ. Microbiol., 75: 5523-5528. [Crossref] [PubMed] [PMC]