Article history: Received: 29-11-2016, Accepted: 30-04-2017, Published online: 21-05-2017
Corresponding author: Kommu Sudhakar
E-mail: email@example.comCitation: Sudhakar K, Murthy GSS, Rajeshwari G (2017) Standardization of dot-enzyme-linked immmunosorbent assay for the diagnosis of bovine visceral schistosomiasis, Veterinary World, 10(5): 536-541.
Aim: Bovine visceral schistosomiasis has been reported as an important disease entity as it affects animal health, productivity, causes economic losses due to liver condemnation, and produces a high morbidity. This study was conducted to standardize an easy, reliable dot-enzyme-linked immmunosorbent assay (ELISA) for the diagnosis of visceral schistosomiasis caused by Schistosoma spindale and to know the prevalence rate in and around Hyderabad.
Materials and Methods: A dot-ELISA was standardized in the laboratory using whole worm antigen (WWA) and excretory-secretory antigen (ESA) of S. spindale. The standardized test was used for the diagnosis of bovine visceral schistosomiasis at field level. The sensitivity and specificity of the test was compared with counter current immunoelectrophoresis. In total, 288 sera (125 cattle and 163 buffalo) were screened by dot-ELISA.
Results: The dot-ELISA detected 32.63% of infection (94/288) using WWA and 40.62% of infection (117/288) using ESA. In cattle, the prevalence rate was 32.80% (41/125) using WWA and 40.80% (51/125) of infection. Similarly, in buffaloes, the prevalence rate was 32.51% (53/163) using WWA and 40.49% (66/163) of infection using ESA. The overall sensitivity of dot-ELISA was 76.74% and 80.48% with WWA and ESA, respectively, and specificity was 73.3% and 78.57% in WWA and ESA, respectively.
Conclusion: As ante-mortem diagnosis of visceral schistosomiasis is difficult in subclinical conditions, dot-ELISA can be used as a reliable immunodiagnostic test for diagnosis at field level.
Keywords: dot-enzyme-linked immmunosorbent assay, excretory-secretory antigen, Schistosoma spindale, whole worm antigen.
1. McCauley, E.H., Majid, A.A. and Tayeb, A. (1984) Economic evaluation of the production impact of bovine schistosomiasis and vaccination in the Sudan. Prev. Vet. Med., 2(6): 735-754. [PubMed]
2. Dargie, J.D. (1980) The pathogenesis of S. Bovis infection in Sudanese cattle. Trans. R. Soc. Trop. Med. Hyg., 74: 560-562. [Crossref]
3. Kadam, S.S., Sardeshpande, P.D. and Ajinkya, S.M. (1977) Hepatic schistosomiasis in sheep and goats. Bombay Vet. Col. Mag., 22: 14-15.
4. Agrawal, M.C., Vohra, S., Gupta, S. and Singh, K.P. (2004) Prevalence of helminthic infections in domestic animals in Madhya Pradesh. J. Vet. Parasitol., 18: 147-149.
5. Sumanth, S., D'Souza, P.E. and Jagannath, M.S. (2004) A study of nasal and visceral schistosomosis in cattle slaughtered at an abattoir in Bangalore, South India. Rev. Sci. Tech. Int. Off. Epizoot., 23(3): 937-942. [Crossref]
6. Mamun, M.A.A., Begum, N. and Mondal, M.M.H. (2011) A coprological survey of gastro-intestinal parasites of water buffaloes (Bubalus bubalis) in Kurigram district of Bangladesh. J. Bangladesh Agrc. Univ., 9(1): 103-110. [Crossref]
7. Tan, T.K., Low, V.L., Lee, S.C., Panchadcharam, C., Kho, K.L., Koh, F.X. and Lim, Y.A.L. (2015) Detection of Schistosoma spindale ova and associated risk factors among Malaysian cattle through coprological survey. Jpn. J. Vet. Res., 63(2): 63-71. [PubMed]
8. Lakshmanan, B., Devada, K., Joseph, S., Binu, M.B. and Kuttan, K. (2016) Efficacy of dot-ELISA using different antigens in detecting anti-schistosome antibodies among bovines in field conditions. J. Parasit. Dis., 40(1): 189-193. [Crossref] [PubMed] [PMC]
9. Lakshmanan, B., Rauoof, A., Fawaz, M. and Subramanian, H. (2011) Abattoir survey of Schistosoma spindale infection in Thrissur. J. Vet. Anim. Sci., 42: 53-54.
10. Mahfouz, A., Mahana, N., Rabee, I. and El-Amir, A. (2011) Evaluation of different immunological techniques for diagnosis of schistosomiasis Haematobium in Egypt. Life Sci. J., 8(4): 858-867.
11. Sumanth, S., D'Souza, P.E. and Jagannath, M.S. (2003) Immunodiagnosis of nasal and visceral schistosomosis in cattle by dot-ELISA. Indian Vet. J., 80(6): 495-498.
12. Singh, A. and Chaudhri, S.S. (2004) Visceral schistosomiasis of domestic animals in India: Humoral immune status of infected cattle, sheep and goats against major polypeptide antigens of Schistosoma indicum and S. spindale. Parasite Immunol., 26(4): 167-175. [Crossref] [PubMed]
13. Vohra, S., Agrawal, M.C. and Malik, Y.P.S. (2006) Dot-ELISA for diagnosis of caprine schistosomosis. Indian J. Anim. Sci., 76(12): 988-991.
14. Divya, S.P.I., Bindu, L., Abhinay, G., Joseph, S. and Subramanian, H. (2011) Protein Profiling of Schistosoma spindale Using SDS-PAGE. Parasitology for End Users Compendium-Cum-Souvenir XXI National Congress of Veterinary Parasitology. p32-33.
15. Murthy, G.S., D'Souza, P.E. and Isloor, K.S. (2013) Evaluation of a polyclonal antibody based sandwich ELISA for the detection of faecal antigens in Schistosoma spindale infection in bovines. J. Parasitic Dis., 37(1): 47-51.
16. Awad, W.S., Ibrahim, A.K. and Salib, F.A. (2009) Using indirect ELISA to assess different antigens for the serodiagnosis of Fasciola gigantica infection in cattle, sheep and donkeys. Res. Vet. Sci., 86(3): 466-471. [Crossref] [PubMed]
17. Gomez-Morales, M.A., Ludovisi, A., Amati, M. and Pozio, E. (2013) Validation of an excretory/secretory antigen based-ELISA for the diagnosis of Opisthorchis felineus infection in humans from low trematode endemic areas. Plos One., 8: 2267. [Crossref]
18. Anuracpreeda, P., Poljaroen, J., Chotwiwatthanakun, C., Tinikul, Y. and Sobhon, P. (2013) Antigenic components, isolation and partial characterization of excretion-secretion fraction of Paramphistomum cervi. Exp. Parasitol., 133(3): 327-333. [Crossref] [PubMed]
19. Shukla, N., Husain, N., Agarwal, G.G. and Husain, M. (2008) Utility of Cysticercus fasciolaris antigen in dot ELISA for the diagnosis of neurocysticercosis. Indian J. Med. Sci., 62(6): 222. [Crossref] [PubMed]
20. Blanco, R.M., Takei, K. and Romero, E.C. (2009) Leptospiral glycolipoprotein as a candidate antigen for serodiagnosis of human leptospirosis. Lett. Appl. Microbiol., 49(2): 267-273. [Crossref] [PubMed]21. Chieffi, P.P., Santos, S.V.D., Queiroz, M.L.D. and Lescano, S.A.Z. (2009) Human toxocariasis: Contribution by Brazilian researchers. Rev. Inst. Med. Trop. Sao. Paulo., 51(6): 301. [Crossref]