Article history: Received: 11-06-2017, Accepted: 18-10-2017, Published online: 14-11-2017
Corresponding author: Bambang Sektiari Lukiswanto
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.orgCitation: Lukiswanto BS, Yuniarti WM, Motulo YY (2017) Effects of hyperbaric therapy on liver morphofunctional of rabbits (Oryctolagus cuniculus) after hind limb ischemia-reperfusion injury, Veterinary World, 10(11): 1337-1342.
Aim: The objective of this research was to study and to prove the effectiveness of hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT) starting time on liver morphofunctional changes after ischemia-reperfusion in the hind limb of rabbits.
Materials and Methods: This research used a complete randomized design with 4 groups and 6 repetitions on each. After 6 h artery femoral is ligation, reperfusion was performed for 100 min (G1), HBOT for 90 min after 10 min reperfusion (G2), 10 min reperfusion (G3), and HBOT 90 min after 60 min reperfusion (G4). Then, all of the rabbits were sacrificed. The liver and blood were taken for histopathological changes examination as well as for measuring the level of aspartate aminotransferase (AST) and alanine aminotransferase (ALT). The statistical test using Kruskal-Wallis and Mann-Whitney showed that the score of degeneration, necrosis, and portal inflammation in groups without HBOT (G1 and G3) were not significantly different, as well as in group with HBOT (G2 and G4) (p>0.05). However, the scores of histopathological changes in G1 and G3 were significantly different from those in G2 and G4 (p<0.05). The levels of AST and ALT in the groups without hyperbaric therapy (G1 and G3) were not significantly different from those in the groups treated with hyperbaric therapy (G2 and G4) (p>0.05).
Results: Hind limb ischemia injury reperfusion can trigger damage for liver morphology, but not lead to liver dysfunction. Reperfusion can trigger increased activity of neutrophils, while neutrophil infiltration in the organ will lead to dysfunction. HBOT can inhibit the activity of neutrophils and the dysfunction of organs caused by ischemic reperfusion.
Conclusion: HBOT for 90 min, both 10 and 60 min after the reperfusion, can protect hepatocytes from damage.
Keywords: hyperbaric oxygen therapy, ischemia, liver, morphofunctional, reperfusion.
1. Fiolet, J.W.T. and Baartscheer, A. (2000) Update review cellular calcium homeostasis during ischemia: A thermodynamic approach. Cardiovasc. Res., 45: 100-106. [Crossref]
4. Gyurkovics, E., Aranyi, P., Stangl, R., Onody, P., Ferreira, G., Lotz, G., Kupcsulik, P. and Szijarto, A. (2011) Post conditioning of the lower limb-protection against the reperfusion syndrome. J. Surg. Res., 169(1): 139-147. [Crossref] [PubMed]
5. Bozok, S., Ilhan, G., Yilmaz, Y., Dokumcu, Z., Tumkaya, L., Karamustafa, H., Ozan, K., Karakisi, S., Ergene, S. and Sener, E. (2012) Protective effects of hyperbaric oxygen and iloprost on ischemia/reperfusion-induced lung injury in a rabbit model. Eur. J. Med. Res., 17(1): 14. [Crossref]
6. McCormick, J.G., Houle, T.T., Saltzman, H.A., Whaley, R.C. and Roy, R.C. (2011) Treatment of acute stroke with hyperbaric oxygen: Time window for efficacy. Undersea Hyperb. Med., 38: 321-334. [PubMed]
7. Mahmoodzadeh, S., Fliegner, D. and Dworatzek, D. (2012) Sex differences in animal models for cardiovascular diseases and the role of estrogen. Handb. Exp. Pharmacol., 214: 23-48. [Crossref] [PubMed]
8. Flecknell, P. (2009) Laboratory Animal Anaesthesia. 3rd ed. Academic Press, USA. p204-210.
10. Yang, J., Sun, H., Takacs, P., Zhang, Y., Liu, J., Chang, Y. and Candiotii, K.A. (2013) The effect of octreotide on hepatic ischemia-reperfusion injury in a rabbit model. Transplant. Proc., 45: 2433-2438. [Crossref] [PubMed]
11. Weigand, K., Brost, S., Steinebrunner, N., Buchler, M., Schemmer, P. and Muller, M. (2012) Ischemia reperfusion injury in liver surgery and transplantation: Patophysiology. HPB Surg., 2012: 1-9. [Crossref] [PubMed] [PMC]
12. Vali, L., Taba, G., Szentmihalyi, K., Febel, H., Kurucs, T., Pallai, Z., Kupcsulik, P. and Blazovics, A. (2006) Reduced antioxidant level and increased oxidative damage in intact liver lobes during ischemia reperfusion. World J. Gastroenterol., 21: 1086-1091. [Crossref] [PMC]
13. Mansour, Z., Charles, A.L., Kindo, M., Pottecher, J., Chamaraux-Tran, T.N., Lejay, A., Zoll, J., Mazzucotelli, J.P. and Geny, B. (2014) Remote effects of lower limb ischemia reperfusion: Impaired lung, unchanged liver, and stimulated kidney oxidative capacities. Biomed. Res. Int., 4: 390-392. [Crossref]
15. Kao, M.C., Chung, C.Y., Chang, Y.Y., Lin, C.K., Sheu, J.R. and Huang, C.J. (2015) Salutary effects of cepharanthine against skeletal muscle and kidney injuries following limb ischemia/reperfusion. Evid. Based Complement. Alternat. Med., 50: 40-46. [Crossref]
17. Chang, Y.K., Huang, S.C., Kao, M.C. and Huang, C.J. (2016) Cepharanthine alleviates liver injury in a rodent model of limb ischemia-reperfusion. Acta Anaesthesiologica Taiwanica, 54: 11-15. [Crossref] [PubMed]
18. Serracino-Inglott, F., Habib, N.A. and Mathie, R.T. (2001) Hepatic ischemia-reperfusion injury. Am. J. Surg., 181: 160-166. [Crossref]
19. Giakoustidis, D., Papageorgiou, G., Iliadis, S., Kontos, N., Kostopoulou, E., Papachrestou, A., Tsantilas, D., Spyridis, C., Takoudas, D., Botsoglou, N., Dimitriadou, A. and Giakoustidis, E. (2002) Intramuscular administration of very high dose of alpha-tocopherol protects liver from severe ischemia/reperfusion injury. World J. Surg., 26: 872-877. [Crossref] [PubMed]
20. Okaya, T. and Lentsch, A.B. (2003) Cytokine cascades and the hepatic inflammatory response to ischemia and reperfusion. J. Invest. Surg., 16(3): 141-143. [Crossref]
21. Furukawa, H., Hayashi, T. and Todo, S. (2000) A novel hydroxyl radical scavenger, nicaraven, protects the liver from warm ischemia and reperfusion injury. Surgery, 127: 661-669. [Crossref] [PubMed]
22. Kihara, K., Ueno, S., Sakoda, M. and Aikou, T. (2005) Effects of hyperbaric oxygen exposure on experimental hepatic ischemia reperfusion injury: Relationship between its timing and neutrophil sequestration. Liver Transplant., 11: 1574-1580. [Crossref]
23. Silveira, M.R.G., Margarido, M.R., Vanni, J.C., Junior, R.N. and Silva, O. (2014) Effects of hyperbaric oxygen therapy on the liver after injury caused by the hepatic ischemia-reperfusion process. Acta Cirurgica Brasileira, 29(1): 29-33. [Crossref]
24. Chineke, C.A., Ologun, A.G. and Ikeobi, C.O.N. (2006) Haematological parameters in rabbit breeds and crosses in humid tropics. Pak. J. Biol. Sci., 9: 2102-2106. [Crossref]
25. Melillo, A. (2007). Rabbit clinical pathology. J. Exot. Pet Med., 16: 135-145. [Crossref]
27. Abdel-Azeem, A.S., Abdel-Azim, A.M., Darwish, A.A. and Omar E.M. (2010) Haematological and biochemical observations in four pure breeds of rabbits and their crosses under Egyptian environmental conditions. World Rabbit Sci., 18: 103-110.28. Ott, R., Schuppan, D., Tannapfel, A., Wittekind, C., Erhardt, W., Henke, J., Kilic, N., Kockerling, F., Reck, T., Hohenberger, W. and Muller, W. (2003) Portal vein arterialization as a technical option in liver transplantation: Impact on function, regeneration, and morphology of the liver following hemihepatectomy in pigs. Liver Int., 23: 54-62. [Crossref] [PubMed]