Article history: Received: 17-04-2018, Accepted: 11-07-2018, Published online: 23-08-2018
Corresponding author: Mst. Minara Khatun
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.orgCitation: Sarker MAR, Haque MM, Rifa RA, Ema FA, Islam MA, Khatun MM (2018) Isolation and identification of bacteria from fresh guava (Psidium guajava) sold at local markets in Mymensingh and their antibiogram profile, Veterinary World, 11(8): 1145-1149.
Aim: The study was conducted for the isolation, identification, and antibiogram of bacteria obtained from fresh guava (Psidium guajava).
Materials and Methods: A total of 25 fresh guavas were collected from five markets located in Mymensingh city. Guava samples were cultured onto various selective media such as eosin methylene blue, xylose lysine deoxycholate, thiosulfate-citrate-bile salts-sucrose, blood agar, and mannitol salt agar for the isolation of bacteria. Biochemical tests (dextrose, maltose, lactose, sucrose, mannitol, methyl red, Voges-Proskauer, and indole) were performed to identify the bacteria.
Results: Total viable counts of guava were ranged between log 6.56 colony-forming unit (cfu)/ml and 6.62 cfu/ml. A total of 106 bacterial isolates belonged to five genera (Escherichia coli, Salmonella spp., Vibrio spp., Bacillus spp., and Staphylococcus spp.) were identified. Salmonella spp. (23.6%) was the most prevalent, followed by E. coli (22.64%), Bacillus spp. (19.81%), Staphylococcus spp. (17.92%), and Vibrio spp. (16.03%). The results of antibiotic sensitivity test showed that Salmonella spp., Bacillus spp., and E. coli were sensitive to chloramphenicol, ciprofloxacin, and gentamicin and resistant to ampicillin and cephalexin. Vibrio spp. was sensitive to chloramphenicol and gentamicin, intermediately sensitive to ciprofloxacin and ampicillin and resistant to cephalexin.
Conclusion: The results of this study indicate that fresh guava contains multidrug-resistant bacteria which might pose a public health risk.
Keywords: antibiogram profile, bacteria, guava, identification, isolation, Mymensingh.
1. Yearbook of Agricultural Statistics-2015, 27th Series. (2016). Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics (BBS), Statistics and Informatics Division (SID), Ministry of Planning Government of the People's Republic of Bangladesh. Available from: http://www.bbs.gov.bd. Last accessed on 31-03-2018.
2. Shruthi, S.D., Roshan, A., Timilsina, S.S. and Sunita, S. (2013) A review on the medicinal plant Psidium guajava Linn. (Myrtaceae). J. Drug Deliv. Ther., 3: 162-168.
3. Baldwine, E. and Mitra, S. (1997) Post-Harvest Physiology and Storage of Tropical and Subtropical Fruits. International Wallingford, UK. p85-122.
4. Rover, D.C. (1998) Microbial safety evaluations and recommendations on fresh produce. Food Contr., 9: 321-347. [Crossref]
5. Rahman, T., Hasan, S. and Noor, R. (2011) An assessment of microbiological quality of some commercially packed and fresh fruit juice available in Dhaka city: A comparative study. Stamford J. Microbiol., 1: 13-18. [Crossref]
6. Carter, G.R. (1955) Studies on Pasteurella multocida. I. A hemagglutination test for the identification of serological types. Am. J. Vet. Sci., 16: 481-484.
7. Guan, S., Xu, R., Chen, S., Odumeru, J. and Gyles, C. (2002) Development of a procedure for discriminating among Escherichia coli isolates from animal and human sources. Appl. Environ. Microbiol., 68: 2690-2698. [Crossref] [PubMed] [PMC]
9. Duncan, D.B. (1955). Multiple range and multiple F test. Biometrics, 11: 1-42. [Crossref]
10. Oranusi, U.S., Braide, W. and Neziyana, H.O. (2012) Microbiological and chemical quality assessment of some commercially packed fruit juices sold in Nigeria. Greener J. Biol. Sci., 2: 1-6. [Crossref]
11. Akter, R., Tanu, N.I. and Uddin, M.A. (2013) Isolation and quantification of bacterial isolates from citrus fruits and determination of their anti-bacterial activity against selected pathogens. Stamford J. Microbiol., 3: 30-33.
12. Eni, A.O., Angela, O.I. and Solomon, O.U. (2010) Microbial quality of fruits and vegetables sold in Sango Ota, Nigeria. Afr. J. Food Sci., 4: 128-134.
13. Mrityunjoy, A., Kaniz, F., Fahmida, J., Shanzida, J.S., Aftab, U. and Rashed, N. (2013) Prevalence of Vibrio cholerae in different food samples in the city of Dhaka, Bangladesh. Int. Food Res. J., 20: 1017-1022.
14. Akhtar, T., Rahman, M.R., Biswas, S., Perveen, R., Alam, M.S., Khanum, F.A., Islam, M.A., Biswas, S., Keya, C.A. and Manirujjaman, M. (2016) Identification of microbial contamination of popular fruits of Bangladesh and assessment the effects of alternative preservatives instead of formalin. Am. J. Microbiol. Res., 4: 138-142.
15. Mukherjee, A., Speh, D., Dyck, E. and Diez, G.F. (2004) Preharvest evaluation of coliforms, Escherichia coli, Salmonella, and Escherichia coli 0157:H7 in organic and conventional produce grown by Minnesota farmers. J. Food Prot., 67: 894-900. [Crossref] [PubMed]
16. Chikere, C.B. and Azubuike, C.C. (2014) Microbial composition of guava (Psidium guajava). hibiscus (Hibiscus-rosa sinensis), mango (Mangifera indica) and Pumpkin (Telfairia occidentalis Hook) phyllosphere. Afr. J. Biotechnol., 13: 1859-1866. [Crossref]
17. Gultie, A. and Sahile, S. (2013) Microbial spectrum of fruit in Gondar town markets, North Western Ethiopia. J. Microbiol. Res., 3: 1-10.
18. Boehme, S., Werner, G., Klare, I. and Witte, W. (2004) Occurrence of antibiotic-resistant Enterobacteria in agricultural foodstuffs. Mol. Nutr. Food Res., 48: 522-531. [Crossref]
19. Rashed, N., Aftab, M.U., Azizul, M.H., Saurab, K.M., Mrityunjoy, A. and Majibur, M.R. (2013) Microbiological study of vendor and packed fruit juices locally available in Dhaka city, Bangladesh. Int. Food Res. J., 20: 1011-1015.
20. Nawas, T., Mazumdar, R.M., Das, S., Nipa, N.N., Islam, S., Bhuiyan, H.R. and Ahmad, I. (2012) Microbiological quality and antibiogram of E. coli, Salmonella and Vibrio of salad and water from restaurants of Chittagong. J. Environ. Sci. Nat. Resour., 5: 159-166. [Crossref]21. Falkiner, F.R. (1998) The consequence of antibiotics used in horticulture. J. Antimicrob. Chemother., 41: 429-431. [Crossref] [PubMed]