Article history: Received: 31-03-2018, Accepted: 18-06-2018, Published online: 04-08-2018
Corresponding author: K. Bozukluhan
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.orgCitation: Bozukluhan K, Merhan O, Ogun M, Kurt B, Cihan M, Erkilic EE, Gokce G, Aydin U, Ozcan A (2018) Investigation of haptoglobin, serum amyloid A, and some biochemical parameters in calves with omphalitis, Veterinary World, 11(8):1055-1058.
Aim: In this study, it was aimed to determine the concentration of some important acute phase proteins (APPs) and some biochemical parameters pre-operative and post-operative in calves with omphalitis.
Materials and Methods: A total of 20 calves were used in the study and they consist of 10 clinically healthy calves that were used as a control and 10 calves with omphalitis were used as the treatment group. Blood samples were collected from Vena jugularis of animals to tubes with anticoagulant (sodium citrate) and without anticoagulants, pre-operative (day 0), and post-operative (day 7). Samples were used to determine the concentration of haptoglobin (Hp), serum amyloid A (SAA), ceruloplasmin (Cp), fibrinogen, glucose, total protein, albumin, urea, total bilirubin, creatinine, calcium, phosphorus, aspartate aminotransferase (AST), alkaline phosphatase (ALP), and gamma-glutamyl transferase (GGT) concentrations.
Results: While the Hp, SAA, Cp, fibrinogen, urea, creatinine, total bilirubin, ALP, and GGT concentrations were statistically and significantly increasing rather than the control group during the pre-operative period for calves with omphalitis, they decreased to the post-operative period. Moreover, an insignificant increase in the glucose, total protein, and AST concentrations and an insignificant decrease in the albumin, calcium, and phosphorus concentrations were statistically determined.
Conclusion: We have the opinion that the assessment of biochemical parameters and especially APP levels in calves with the omphalitis together with the clinical findings may be important in terms of the treatment and prognosis.
Keywords: acute phase protein, biochemistry parameters, calves, omphalitis.
1. Ozaydin, I., Kilic, E., Ozba, B. and Cihan, M. (1998) A new technique for the operative treatment of umbilical lesions (umbilical hernia, urachal fistula, omphalophlebitis, and omphaloarteritis) in bull calves. Kafkas Univ. Vet Fak Derg., 4: 55-61.
2. Sagliyan, A., Han, MC. and Gunay C. (2016) Evaluation of the clinical, radiographic, and ultrasonographic findings in umbilical lesions in calves. Firat Univ. Vet. J. Health Sci., 30: 123-129.
4. Pradeep, M. (2014) Application of acute phase proteins as biomarkers in modern veterinary practice. Ind. J. Vet. & Anim. Sci. Res., 43: 1-13.
6. Tothova, C., Nagy, O. and Kovac, G. (2014) Acute phase proteins and their use in the diagnosis of diseases in ruminants: a review. Vet. Med., 59: 163-180. [Crossref]
7. Colombo, JP. and Richterich, R. (1964) Zurbestimmung des caeruloplasmin im plasma [on the determination of ceruloplasmin in plasma]. Schweiz Med. Wochenschr., 94: 715-720.
9. SPSS. (2011) IBM SPSS Statistics for Windows, Version 20.0. Armonk, New York.
10. Yurdakul I. (2016) Complications due to umbilical cord infections in lamb and kids. Cumhuriyet Univ. J. Health Sci. Inst., 1: 39-44.
11. Cihan, M., Aksoy, O., Ozaydin, I., Ozba, B., Baran, V. (2006) General evaluation of umbilical lesions in calves: 322 cases (1996-2005). Kafkas Univ. Vet Fak Derg., 12: 141-145.
12. Ganga Naik, S., Ananda, KJ., Kavitha Rani, B., Kotresh, AM., Shambulingappa, BE. and Patel, SR. (2011) Navel ill in newborn calves and its successful treatment. Vet. World, 4: 326-327.
13. Salci H, Ozdemir Salci ES, Ozakin C and Seyrek Intas K, 2017. A brief study on hematological, sero-biochemical and microbiological results of umbilical lesions in calves. Inter. J. Vet. Sci., 6: 86-89.
14. Kaya, S., Merhan, O., Kacar, C., Colak, A. and Bozukluhan, K. (2016) Determination of ceruloplasmin, some other acute phase proteins, and biochemical parameters in cows with endometritis. Vet. World, 9: 1056-1062. [Crossref] [PubMed] [PMC]
15. Merhan, O., Bozukluhan, K. and Gokce, HI. (2017) Acute phase proteins and biochemical and oxidative stress parameters in Hypoderma spp. infested cattle. J. Hellenic Vet. Med. Soc., 68: 535-540. [Crossref]
16. Merhan, O., Bozukluhan, K., Gokce, G. and Yilmaz, O. (2016) Investigation on the levels of haptoglobin, ceruloplasmin and some biochemical parameters levels in calves with diarrhea. Firat Univ. Vet. J. Health Sci., 30: 195-198.
17. Merhan, O., Bozukluhan, K., Celebi, O., Ogun, M., Atakisi, E. and Buyuk F. (2017) Levels of acute phase protein and some biochemical parameter in cattle infected with Mycobacterium bovis. J. Fac. Vet. Med. Univ. Erciyes, 14: 101-105.
18. Merhan, O., Bozukluhan, K., Kiziltepe, S. and Gokce HI. (2017) Investigation of levels of haptoglobin, serum amyloid A, ceruloplasmin and albumin in cattle with foot-and-mouth disease. Isr. J. Vet. Med., 72: 14-17.
19. Merhan, O., Ozcan, A., Atakisi, E., Ogun, M. and Kukurt, A. (2016) The effect of β-carotene on acute phase response in diethylnitrosamine given rabbits. Kafkas Univ. Vet Fak Derg., 22: 533-537.
20. Bozukluhan, K., Merhan, O., Ozcan, A., Gokce, HI. and Gokce G. (2017) Investigation of the levels of serum haptoglobin, oxidative indicators and some biochemical parameters in calves naturally infected with Toxocara vitulorum. Ankara Univ. Vet Fak Derg., 64: 75-79.
21. Bozukluhan, K., Merhan, O., Buyuk, F., Celebi, O. and Gokce, G. (2016) Determination of some acute phase proteins level in cattle with brucellosis. Ankara Univ. Vet Fak Derg., 63: 13-16.
22. Kuru, M., Merhan, O., Kaya, S., Oral, H. and Kukurt, S. (2015) The effect of short-term progesterone-releasing intravaginal device treatment on acute inflammation markers for Holstein heifers. Revue Med. Vet., 166: 336-340.
25. Kaneko, J.J., Harvey, J.W. and Bruss, M.L. (2008) Clinical Biochemistry of Domestic Animals. 6th edition. New York: Academic Press, 364-390.
27. Cerone, SI., Sansinanea, AS., Streitenberger, SA., Garcia, MC. and Auza, NJ. (2000) Cytochrome C oxidase, Cu, Zn-superoxide dismutase, and ceruloplasmin activities in copper-deficient bovines. Biol. Trace Elem. Res., 73: 269-278. [Crossref][Crossref]