Article history: Received: 04-03-2018, Accepted: 08-05-2018, Published online: 02-07-2018
Corresponding author: Mokrane Iguer-Ouada
E-mail: email@example.comCitation: Moulla F, El-Bouyahiaoui R, Nazih R, Abdelaziz N, Zerrouki N, Iguer-Ouada M (2018) Characterization of the onset of puberty in Tazegzawt lambs, an endangered Algerian sheep: Body weight, thoracic perimeter, testicular growth and seminal parameters, Veterinary World, 11(7): 889-894.
Aim: The aim of the present study was to define the onset of puberty in Tazegzawt ram lambs, an Algerian sheep breed in endangered status with a small population in its local area.
Materials and Methods: Body growth (body weight and thoracic perimeter), scrotal circumference (SC), penis development stages, and seminal parameters (volume, concentration, and motility) were measured. Data were recorded at fortnightly intervals in 10 animals from 9 to 49 weeks of age.
Results: On the basis of seminal analyses, puberty occurred between 29 and 45 weeks of age. At 29 weeks of age, 30% of lambs reached puberty, and at 45 weeks of age, puberty was observed in 100% of the analyzed animals. Body weight appeared as the most determinant factor, and the onset of puberty was observed when animals reached 43.2±6.4 kg body weight with 25.8±3.7 cm of SC. Seminal analyses revealed that all parameters increased regularly from puberty onset except for sperm concentration. The mean semen volume during the study period was 0.48±0.33 mL with 0.84±0.6 mL at 37 weeks of age. Sperm concentration evolved similarly as semen volume; at 29 and 43 weeks of age, the sperm concentration was 942x106 and 1904x106 spermatozoa/mL, respectively. Kinematic parameters including the percentage of motility, the percentage of progressive motility, and gametes velocities as determined by Computer-Aided Sperm Analyzer showed the highest values at 49 weeks of age.
Conclusion: The current results revealed that, in Tazegzawt ram lambs, puberty occurs between 29 and 45 weeks when animals reach 43.2±4.6 kg body weight.
Keywords: body weight, puberty onset, scrotal circumference, seminal parameters, Tazegzawt breed sheep.
1. Emsen, E. (2005) Testicular development and body weight gain from birth to 1 year of age of Awassi and Redkaraman sheep and their reciprocal crosses. Small Ruminant Res., 59: 79-82. [Crossref]
2. Martinez, J.M., Dominguez, B., Barrientos, M., Canseco, R., Ortega, E. and Lamothe, C. (2012) Biometry and testicular growth influenced nutrition on prepubertal pelibuey lambs. J. Anim. Feed Res., 2: 314-321.
3. Souza, C.E.A., Araujo, A.A., Oliveira, J.T.A., Lima Souza, A.C., Neiva, J.N.M. and Moura, A.A. (2010) Reproductive development of santa ines rams during the first year of life: Body and testis growth, testosterone concentrations, sperm parameters, age at puberty and seminal plasma proteins. Reprod. Domest. Anim., 45: 644-653. [PubMed]
4. Kridli, R.T., Abdullah, A.Y., Shaker, M.M. and Al-Momani, A.Q. (2006) Age at puberty and some biological parameters of Awassi and its first crosses with Charollais and Romanov rams. Ital. J. Anim.Sci., 5: 193-202. [Crossref]
6. Khalifa, E.I., Ahmed, M.E., Hafez, Y.H., El-Zolaky, O.A. and Bahera, K.M. (2013) Age at puberty and fertility of Rahmani sheep fed on biological inoculated corn silage. Ann. Agric. Sci. 58(2): 163-172. [Crossref]
7. Dyrmundsson, O.R. and Lees, J.L. (1972) Pubertal development of Clun Forest ram lambs in relation to time of birth. J. Agric. Sci., 79:83-89. [Crossref]
8. Haynes, N.B. and Schanbacher, B.D. (1983) The control of reproductive activity in the ram. In: Gordon, I., editor. Controlled Reproduction in Sheep and Goats. CAB International, Wallingford, UK. p431-451.
9. Pretorious, P.S. and Marincowitz, G. (1968) Post-natal penis development, testis descent and puberty in Merino ram lambs on different planes of nutrition. S. Afr. J. Agric. Sci., 11: 319-333.
10. Salisbury, G.W., Van Demark, N.L. and Lodge, J.R. (1978) Physiology of Reproduction and Artificial Insemination of Cattle. W.H. Freeman and Company, San Francisco (USA). p798.
11. Madani, M.O.K., Rahal, M.S., Zawia, M.T. and Eluwhaishi, B.A. (1989) Puberty and early sexual development in Libyan Fat-Tailed ram lambs. Br. Vet. J., 145: 276-288. [Crossref]
12. El bouyahiaoui, R., Arbouche, F., Ghozlane, F., Moulla, F., Belkheir, B., Bentrioua, A., Hidra, H., Mansouri, H., Iguer-ouada, M., Bellahreche, A. and Djaout, A. (2015) Repartition et phenotype de la race ovine Bleue de Kabylie ou Tazegzawt (Algerie). Livest. Res. Rural Dev., 27: 10.
13. Abraham, M.C., Puhakka, J., Ruete, A., Mohsen Al-Essawe, E., de Verdier, K., Morrell, J.M. and Bage, A. (2016) Testicular length as an indicator of onset of sperm production in alpacas under Swedish conditions. Acta. Vet. Scand., 58: 10. [Crossref] [PubMed] [PMC]
14. Elhammali, N.S.A., Alqurashi, A.M., Tajedin Ibrahim, M. and Elsheikh, A.S. (2013) Puberty of crossbred male goat kids. J. Am. Sci., 9(4): 95-99.
15. Dixit, S.P., Dihillon, J.S. and Singh, C. (2001) Genetics and non-genetic parameter estimates for growth traits of Baharat Merino lambs. Small Ruminant. Res. 42: 101-104. [Crossref]
16. Korkmaz, M.K. and Emsen, E. (2016) Growth and reproductive traits of purebred and crossbred Romanov lambs in Eastern Anatolia. Anim. Reprod., 13: 3-6. [Crossref]
17. Chikhi, A. and Boujenane, I. (2003b) Caracterisation zootechnique des ovins de race Sardi au Maroc. Rev. Elev. Med. Vet. Pay., 56: 187-192.
18. Chniter, M., Hammadi, M., Khorchani, T., Ben Sassi, M., Harab, H., Krit, R. and Ben Hamouda, M. (2011) Performance de Croissance et Mortalite Des Agneaux D'man Eleves Dans la Ferme de l'OEP a Chenchou. In: Mutations des Systemes D'elevage Ovins et Perspectives de Leur Durabilite. Vol. 97. Options Mediterraneennes, CIHEAM, Zaragoza, Serie A: Seminaires Mediterraneens-N. p161-163.
19. Boussena, S., Bouaziz, O., Zerrougui, S., Derqaoui, L. and Tainturier, D. (2013) Performances de croissance corporelle et testiculaire avant le sevrage chez les agneaux de race Ouled Djellal. Rev. Med. Vet., 164(4): 191-119.
20. Skinner, J.D., Booth, W.D. and Rowson, L.E.A. (1968) The postnatal development of the reproductive tract of the Suffolk rams and changes in the gonadotropin content of the pituitary. J. Reprod. Fertil., 16: 463-477. [Crossref] [PubMed]
21. Boussena, S., Bouaziz, O., Hireche, S., Derqaoui, L., Dib, L. and Moula, N. (2016) Apparition de la puberte chez les agneaux males de race Ouled Djellal. Rev. Med. Vet., 167: 274-282.
22. Osinowo, O.A., Marire, B.N. and Grace, A.E. (1992) Preliminary study of postnatal growth and reproductive tract development in Yankasa rams. Anim. Reprod. Sci., 27: 49-54. [Crossref]
23. Chakraborty, P.K., Stuart, L.D. and Brown, J.L. (1989) Puberty in the male Nubian goat: Serum concentration of LH, FSH and testosterone from birth through puberty and semen characteristics at sexual maturity. Anim. Reprod. Sci., 20: 91-101. [Crossref]
24. Anas, A.S., Salem, I.A. and Aboulwafa, G. (2005) Relationship of puberty and semen characteristics to seasonal and nutritional variations in SAIDI ram lambs. Egypt. J. Anim. Prod., 42(2): 145-156.
25. Regab, M.T., Sharafeldin, M.A. and Khalil, I.A. (1966) Sexual behavior of male lambs as affected by the plane of nutrition. J. Anim. Prod. U.A.R. 6: 89-94.26. Ghorbankhani, F., Souri, M., Moeini, M.M. and Mirmahmoudi, R. (2015) Effect of nutritional state on semen characteristics, testicular size and serum testosterone concentration in Sanjabi ram lambs during the natural breeding season. Anim. Reprod. Sci. 153: 22-28. [Crossref]