Article history: Received: 29-11-2017, Accepted: 31-01-2018, Published online: 05-03-2018
Corresponding author: M. Khezri
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.orgCitation: Khezri M, Moharrami M, Modirrousta H, Torkaman M, Rokhzad B and Khanbabaie H (2018) Prevalence of American foulbrood in asymptomatic apiaries of Kurdistan, Iran, Veterinary World, 11(3): 281-285.
Aim: Paenibacillus larvae subsp. larvae is the etiological agent of American foulbrood (AFB), the most virulent bacterial disease of honey bee brood worldwide. In many countries, AFB is a notifiable disease since it is highly contagious, in most cases incurable, and able to kill affected colonies. The aim of this study was to determine the prevalence of P. larvae subsp. larvae in Kurdistan province apiaries by polymerase chain reaction (PCR) technique.
Materials and Methods: A total of 100 samples were randomly purchased from apiaries in Kurdistan, Iran. Apiaries were randomly sampled in accordance with the instructions of the veterinary organization from different provinces and were tested using PCR method and an exclusive primer of 16S rRNA for the presence of P. larvae subsp. larvae.
Results: The results of this study indicated a low level of contamination with P. larvae subsp. larvae in the Kurdistan province. The number of positive samples obtained by PCR was 2%.
Conclusion: Therefore, monitoring programs for this honeybee disease in Kurdistan should be developed and implemented to ensure that it is detected early and managed.
Keywords: American foulbrood, honeybee, Kurdistan province, Paenibacillus larvae subsp. larvae, polymerase chain reaction.
1. OIE. (2014) American foulbrood. Manual of Standards for Diagnostic Tests and vaccines. Vol. 1. OIE, Paris.
2. Garcia-Gonzalez, E., Poppinga, L., Funfhaus, A., Hertlein, G., Hedtke, K., Jakubowska, A. and Genersch, E. (2014) Paenibacillus larvae chitin-degrading protein PlCBP49 is a key virulence factor in American foulbrood of honey bees. PLoS Pathog., 10: e1004284. [Crossref]
3. Heyndrickx, M., Vandemeulebroecke, K., Hoste, B., Janssen, P., Kersters K., De Vos, P., Logan, N., Ali, N. and Berkeley, R. (1996) Reclassification of Paenibacillus (formerly Bacillus) pulvifaciens (Nakamura 1984) Ash et al. 1994, a later subjective synonym of Paenibacillus (formerly Bacillus) larvae (White 1906) Ash et al. 1994, as a subspecies of P. larvae, with emended descriptions of P. larvae as P. larvae subsp. larvae and P. larvae subsp. pulvifaciens. Int. J. Syst. Evol. Microbiol., 46: 270-279. [Crossref]
4. Morrissey, B.J., Helgason, T., Poppinga, L., Funfhaus, A., Genersch, E. and Budge G.E. (2015) Biogeography of Paenibacillus larvae, the causative agent of American foulbrood, using a new multilocus sequence typing scheme. Environ. Microbiol., 17: 1414-1424. [Crossref] [PubMed] [PMC]
5. Jurat-Fuentes, J.L. and Jackson, T.A. (2012) Bacterial Entomopathogens. Chapter 8. Vega, Fernando E. and Kaya, H.K. (ed), Insect Pathology. 2 th ed. Academic Press, San Diego, p 265-349. [Crossref]
6. Bailey, L. and Lee, D. (1962) Bacillus larvae: Its cultivation in vitro and its growth in vivo. Microbiol., 29(4): 711-717. [Crossref]
7. Davidson, E.W. (1973) Ultrastructure of american foulbrood disease pathogenesis in larvae of the worker honey bee, Apis mellifera. J. Invertebr. Pathol., 21: 53-61. [Crossref]
8. Belloy, L., Imdorf, A., Fries, I., Forsgren, E., Berthoud, H., Kuhn, R. and Charriere, J. (2007) Spatial distribution of Melissococcus plutonius in adult honey bees collected from apiaries and colonies with and without symptoms of European foulbrood. Apidologie, 38: 136-140. [Crossref]
9. Erban, T., Ledvinka, O., Kamler, M., Nesvorna, M., Hortova, B., Tyl, J., Titera, D., Markovic, M. and Hubert, J. (2017) Honeybee (Apis mellifera)-associated bacterial community affected by American foulbrood: Detection of Paenibacillus larvae via microbiome analysis. Sci. Rep., 7: 5084. [Crossref]
10. De Graaf, D., Alippi, A., Brown, M., Evans, J., Feldlaufer, M., Gregorc, A., Hornitzky, M., Pernal, S., Schuch, D. and Titera, D. (2006) Diagnosis of American foulbrood in honey bees: A synthesis and proposed analytical protocols. Lett. Appl. Microbiol., 43: 583-590. [Crossref] [PubMed]
11. Alippi, A.M., Lopez, A.C. and Aguilar, O.M. (2002) Differentiation of Paenibacillus larvae subsp. larvae, the cause of American foulbrood of honeybees, by using PCR and restriction fragment analysis of genes encoding 16S rRNA. Appl. Environ. Microbiol., 68: 3655-3660. [Crossref]
13. Kilic, A., Simsek, H. and Kalender, H. (2010) Detection of American foulbrood disease (Paenibacillus larvae) by the PCR and culture. Kafkas Univ. Vet. Fak. Derg., 16: 841-845.
14. Ryba, S., Titera, D., Haklova, M. and Stopka, P. (2009) A PCR method of detecting American foulbrood (Paenibacillus larvae) in winter beehive wax debris. Vet. Microbiol., 139: 193-196. [Crossref] [PubMed]
15. Piccini, C. and Zunino, P. (2001) American foulbrood in uruguay: Isolation of Paenibacillus larvae larvae from larvae with clinical symptoms and adult honeybees and susceptibility to oxytetracycline. J. Invertebr. Pathol., 78: 176-177. [Crossref]
16. Alippi, A.M., Reynaldi, F.J., Lopez, A.C., De Giusti, M.R. and Aguilar, O.M. (2004) Molecular epidemiology of Paenibacillus larvae larvae and incidence of American foulbrood in Argentinean honeys from buenos aires province. J. Api. Sci., 43: 135-143. [Crossref]
17. Bokaie, S., Mehrabadi, M. and Sharifi, L. (2010) Epidemiological Study of Varroosis in Honey Bee in Golestan Province, Iran, Abstract 9th Annual Congress of Society for Veterinary Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, Southern African.
18. Piccini, C., D'alessandro, B., Antunez, K. and Zunino, P. (2002) Detection of Paenibacillus larvae subspecies larvae spores in naturally infected bee larvae and artificially contaminated honey by PCR. World J. Microbiol. Biotechnol., 18: 761-765. [Crossref]
19. De Graaf, D.C., Alippi, A.M., Antunez, K., Aronstein, K.A., Budge, G., De Koker, D., De Smet, L., Dingman, D.W., Evans, J.D. and Foster, L.J. (2013) Standard methods for American foulbrood research. J. Api. Sci., 52: 1-28. [Crossref]
20. Dobbelaere, W., De Graaf, D. and Peeters, J. (2001) Development of a fast and reliable diagnostic method for American foulbrood disease (Paenibacillus larvae subsp. larvae) using a 16S rRNA gene based PCR. Apidologie, 32: 363-370. [Crossref]
21. Sambrook, J. and Russell, D.W. (2001) Molecular Cloning: A Laboratory Manual. 3th ed. Cold pring Harbor Laboratory Press, New York.
22. Lindstrom, A. and Fries, I. (2005) Sampling of adult bees for detection of American foulbrood (Paenibacillus larvae subsp. larvae) spores in honey bee (Apis mellifera) colonies. J. Api. Sci., 44: 82-86. [Crossref]
23. Adjlane, N., Haddad, N. and Kechih, S. (2014) Comparative study between techniques for the diagnosis of American foulbrood (Paenibacillus larvae) in honeybee colony. J. Anim. Vet. Adv., 13: 970-973.
24. Forsgren, E. and Laugen, A.T. (2014) Prognostic value of using bee and hive debris samples for the detection of American foulbrood disease in honey bee colonies. Apidologie, 45: 10-20. [Crossref]
25. Forsgren, E., Locke, B., Sircoulomb, F. and Schafer, M.O. (2018) Bacterial diseases in honeybees. Curr. Clin. Microbiol. Rep., 2018: 1-8. [Crossref]
26. Ritter, W. (2003) Early detection of American foulbrood by honey and wax analysis. Apiacta, 38: 125-130.
27. Yalcinkaya, A., Keskin, N. and Ozkirim, A. (2009) After Colony Losses in Hatay and Adana Region of Turkey the Investigation of Honey Bee Diseases, Abstract API mondia, Montpellier, France.
28. Anjum, S.I., Shah, A.H., Azim, M.K., Yousuf, M.J., Khan, S. and Khan, S.N. (2015) Prevalence of American foul brood disease of honeybee in north-west Pakistan. Biotechnol. Biotechnol. Equip., 29: 659-665. [Crossref]
29. Haddad, N., Al-tellawi, A., Adjlane, N., Khoury, F. and Quddoumi, S. (2015) Diagnosis of Paenibacillus larvae from honeybees in Jordan according to microbiological and chemicals techniques. Asian J. Anim. Sci., 9: 318-329. [Crossref]
30. Moharrami, M. and Modirrosta, H. (2015) Survey of contamination rate of Paenibacillus larvae larvae spores (the causative agent of American foulbrood) in the produced honeys in apiaries of Tehran province by culture and PCR. J. Sci. Technol., 10: 1-10.
31. Yusefkhani, M. and Lotfi, A. (2010) Incidence of American foulbrood in honey bee colonies of Eastern Azerbaijan province, North West of Iran. Acad. J. Entomol., 3: 37-38.
32. Nofouzi, K. and Razmaraii, N. (2015) Investigation of Paenibacillus larvae subspecies larva of honey bee (Apis mellifera) colonies in East Azerbaijan Province of Iran. Iran J. Vet. Med., 9: 87-91.33. Chegeni, A.A., Ahmadi, M., Saei, H.D. and Rahman, B. (2013) A Comparison between the Bacterial Culture and PCR in the Identification of American Foulbrood (AFB) and European Foulbrood (EFB), abstr The 14th International Iranian Congress of Microbiology Shahid Beheshti University Auditorium Tehran, Iran.