Article history: Received: 17-01-2018, Accepted: 09-04-2018, Published online: 11-05-2018
Corresponding author: Halla E. K. El Bahgy
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.orgCitation: El Bahgy HEK, Elbarbary HA, Ibrahim SS (2018) Estimation of deltamethrin residues in cow's and goat's environment and trials to reduce its level in milk, Veterinary World, 11(5): 606-611.
Aim: The present study was aimed to estimate deltamethrin residues in cow's and goat's environment over a certain period of time post-application, to identify the role of both feed and water as a source of pesticides, and to conduct some trials to reduce their levels in milk.
Materials and Methods: A total of 80 water and feed samples (40 of each) and 120 milk samples (80 cow's milk and 40 goat's milk) were collected. Fresh milk samples were collected directly from the udder as well as from feed and water before application and 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 7th, 15th, 21st, and 35th days after insecticide application.
Results: Deltamethrin residues were detected after its application in both water and feed at different levels up to the first 3 days and in all cow's and goat's milk samples at 35th day. The highest levels were detected in milk samples at the 2nd day then at the 7th day followed at the 15th day after application as such levels were above the maximum residual limits. By microwaving the polluted cow's milk samples, deltamethrin residues were not detected without influencing the chemical composition of the milk. However, on freezing of milk, the deltamethrin residues reached 12.6±3.24 μg/L in association with a significant decline in the concentration of fat.
Conclusion: Microwaving of milk is an effective method to decline deltamethrin concentration in milk.
Keywords: deltamethrin, freezing, high-performance liquid chromatography, microwaving treatment, milk, pesticides residues.
2. Cote, J., Bonvalot, Y., Carrier, G., Lapointe, C., Fuhr, U. and Tomalik-Scharte, D. (2014) A novel toxicokinetic modeling of cypermethrin and permethrin and their metabolites in humans for dose reconstruction from biomarker data. PLoS One, 9: e88517, 1-17. [Crossref]
5. Hasibur, R., Al-Thbiani, A., Shalini, S., Zahid, K.A., Anand, M. and Abid, A.A. (2014) Systematic review on pyrethroid toxicity with special reference to deltamethrin. J. Entomol. Zool. Stud., 2: 60-70.
6. Palenikova, A.G., Martinez-Dominguez, F.J., Arrebola, R. and Romero-Gonzalez, A.G. (2015) Determination of pesticides and transformation products in Ginkgo biloba nutraceutical products by chromatographic techniques coupled to mass spectrometry. Food Anal. Methods., 8: 2194-2201. [Crossref]
7. Koesukwiwat, U., Jayanta, S. and Leepipatpiboon, N. (2007) Validation of a liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry multi-residue method for the simultaneous determination of sulfonamides, tetracyclines, and pyrimethamine in milk. J. Chromatogr. A., 26: 147-156. [Crossref]
8. Kolberg, D.I.S., Presta, M.A., Wickert, C., Adaime, M.B. and Zanelli, R. (2009) Rapid and accurate simultaneous determination of abamectin and ivermectin in bovine milk by high performance liquid chromatography with fluorescence. J. Braz. Chem. Soc., 20: 1193-1205. [Crossref]
9. Bagg, R., Vessie, G.H., Dick, C.P., Duffield, T., Wilson, J.B. and Aramini, J.J. (2005) Milk residues and performance of lactating dairy cows administered high doses of monensin. Can. J. Vet. Res., 69: 180-185. [PubMed] [PMC]
10. Tsiplakou, E., Anagnostopoulos, C.J., Liapis, K., Haroutounian, S.A. and Zervas, G. (2010) Pesticides residues in milk and feedstuff of farm animals drawn from Greece. Chemosphere., 80: 504-512. [Crossref] [PubMed]
11. Danaher, M.L., Howell, C.S., Crooks, R.C., Flajs, V.C. and Keeffe, M. O. (2006) Review of methodology for the determination of macrocyclic lactone residues in biological matrices. J. Chromatogr. B., 844: 175-203. [Crossref] [PubMed]
12. Cerkvenik-Flajs, V.L., Milcinski, L.A.H., Sussinger, M.D. and Antonic, J. (2010) Trace analysis of endectocides in milk by high performance liquid chromatography with fluorescence detection. Anal. Chim. Acta., 663: 165-171. [Crossref] [PubMed]
13. David, W., Arno, J., Jacob, H., Michael, L., Peter, P.C. and Steve, H. (2013) Development and validation of a 'universal' HPLC method for pyrethroid quantification in long-lasting insecticidal mosquito nets for malaria control and prevent. Trop. Med.Int. Health., 18: 2-11. [Crossref] [PubMed]
14. Tremonte, P., Luca, T., Mariantonietta, S., Gianfranco, P., Luisa, F., Valeria, C., Raffaele, C. and Elena, S. (2014) Raw milk from vending machines: Effects of boiling, microwave treatment, and refrigeration on microbiological quality. J. Dairy Sci., 9: 3314-3320. [Crossref]
15. Tomer, V. and Sangha, J.K. (2013) Vegetable processing at household level: Effective tool against pesticide residue exposure. IOSR J. Environ. Sci. Toxicol. Food Technol., 6: 43-53. [Crossref]
16. Hanan, A.A., Fayza, A.S., Fayza, A., El Tedawy, A. and Sallam, A. (2016) Detection of ivermectin and deltamethrin in the bulk milk tank of some dairy herd. Adv. Environ. Biol., 10: 1-9.
17. Boussahel, R., Moussaoui, K.M. and Harik, D. (2006) Determination of residues of deltamethrin in wheat and potato by HPLC. Afr. J. Agric. Res., 1: 182-185.
19. Tentu, N.R., Patrudu, T.B., Babu, K.R., Sreenivasul, E.G. and Karri, A. (2014) A novel method for determination of deltamethrin residues in aquatic tox medium followed by gas chromatography mass spectrometry method. Int. J. Pure Appl. Sci. Technol., 22: 27-34.
20. Amro, S.M., Omima, M.E. and Osama, H.M. (2014) Effect of effective microorganisms (EM) and potassium sulphate on productivity and fruit quality of "Hayany" Date palm grown under salinity stress. IOSR J. Am. Chem. Soc., 7: 90-99.
21. Kim, S.S., Lee, R.D., Lim, K.J., Kwack, S.J., Rhee, G.S., Seok, J.H., Lee, G.S., Jeung, E.B., and Park, K.L. (2005) Potential estrogenic and antiandrogenic effects of permethrin in rats. J. Reprod. Dev., 51: 201-210. [Crossref] [PubMed]
22. Goodarzi, M., Ortiz, E.V., Coelho, L.S. and Duchowicz, P.R. (2010) Linear and non-linear relationships mapping the Henry's law parameters of organic pesticides. Atmos Environ., 44: 3179-3186. [Crossref]
23. Thomson, W.T. (1989) Agricultural Chemicals. Book I: Insecticides. Thomson Publications, Fresno, CA.
24. Stefanelli, P., Santilio, A., Cataldi, L. and Dommarco, R. (2009) Multiresidue analysis of organochlorine and pyrethroid pesticides in ground beef meat by gas chromatography-mass spectrometry. J. Environ. Sci. Health, Part B., 44: 350-356. [Crossref] [PubMed]
25. EU Pesticides Database, MRLs for Commission Regulation (EU) 2015/1200 of 22 July. (2015) Amending Annexes II and III to Regulation (EC) No 396/2005 of the European Parliament and of the Council as regards maximum residue levels for Pesticides. Available from: http://www.ec.europa.eu/food/plant/pesticides/eu-pesticides database/public/?event=homepage &language=EN. Last accessed on 18-12-2018.
26. El-Maghraby, S. (2007) Metabolism of deltamethrin in rats. Biomed. Environ. Sci., 20: 212-216. [PubMed]
27. Castillo, A.R., St-Pierre, N.R., Silva, N. and Weiss, W.P. (2013) Mineral concentrations in diets, water, and milk and their value in estimating on-farm excretion of manure minerals in lactating dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci., 96: 3388-98. [Crossref]
28. Misra, U., Singh, S.P., Ahmad, A.H., Hore, S.K. and Sharma, L.D. (2005) Synthetic pyrethroid residues in foods of animal origin in Kumaon. Toxicol. Int., 12: 83-86.
29. Shahzadi, N., Imran, M., Sarwar, M., Hashmi, A.S. and Wasim, M. (2013) Identification of pesticides residues in different samples of milk. J. Agro Alim. Proc. Technol., 19: 167-172.
30. Nasr, I.N., Sallam, A.A.A. and Abd El-Khair, A.A.(2007) Monitoring of certain pesticide residues and some heavy metals in fresh cow's milk at Gharbia Governorate, Egypt. J. Appl. Sci., 7: 3038-3044. [Crossref]
31. Turi, M.S., Sods, K. and Vegh, E. (2008) Determination of residues of pyrethroid and organophosphorus ectoparasiticides in foods of animal origin. Acta. Vet. Hung., 48: 139-149.
33. Garci'a-Lara, N.R., Escuder-Vieco, D., Garci'a-Algar, O., De la Cruz, J., Lora, D. and Palla' S-Alonso, C. (2012) Effect of freezing time on macronutrients and energy content of breast milk. Breast Feed. Med., 7: 295-301. [Crossref] [PubMed] [PMC]
34. Vieira, A.A., Soares, F.V., Pimenta, H.P., Abranches, A.D. and Moreira, M.E. (2011) Analysis of the influence of pasteurization, freezing/thawing, and offer processes on human milk's macronutrient concentrations. Early Hum. Dev., 87: 577-580. [Crossref] [PubMed]
35. Oliveira, S.C., Amelie, D., Olivia, M., Amandine, B., Florence, R., Gwenaele, H., Emelyne, D., Frederic, C., Didier, D. and Claire, B. (2016) Holder pasteurization impacts the proteolysis, lipolysis and disintegration of human milk under in vitro dynamic term newborn digestion. Food Res. Int., 88: 263-275. [Crossref]
36. Eldakroory, S.A., El Morsi, D.A., Abdel-Rahman, R. H., Roshdy, S., Gouida, M. S. and Khashaba, E.O. (2017) Correlation between toxic organochlorine pesticides and breast cancer. Hum. Exp. Toxicol., 36: 1326-1334. [Crossref] [PubMed]
37. Sharma, J.S., Satya, V., Kumar, D.K. and Tewary, D.K. (2005) Dissipation of pesticides during breadmaking. Chem. Health Saf., 12: 17-22. [Crossref]
38. Abou-Arab, A.K. (1999) Effects of processing and storage of dairy products on lindane residues and metabolites. Food Chem., 64: 467-473. [Crossref]
39. FAO/WHO. (2008) Food Standards Program. Codex Alimentarius. Pesticide Residues in Food. Vol. 11. FAO/WHO Food Standard Programme, FAO, Rome.
40. Faqir, M., Awais, M.M., Akhtar, M. and Anwa, M.I. (2013) Quantitative Structure activity relationship and risk analysis of some pesticides in the cattle milk. Iran. J. Environ. Health Sci. Eng., 10: 1-5.
41. POP's Office. (2006) Polychlorinated Biphenyls PCB's-reduction and elimination. MZSPP, Skopje, Macedonia.42. WHO. (2003) World Health Organization. Persistent Organic Pollutants Compiled by the Program for the Promotion of Chemical Safety, The Division of Control of Tropical Diseases, and the Food Safety Unit. Available from: http://www. Chem. UNEP.Ch/ POPs /indxhtms/manexp12.html. Last accessed on 18-12-2018.