Article history: Received: 19-09-2018, Accepted: 26-12-2018, Published online: 08-02-2019
Corresponding author: Asmaa Manel Matallah
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.orgCitation: Matallah AM, Bouayad L, Boudjellaba S, Mebkhout F, Hamdi TM, Ramdani-Bouguessa N (2019) Staphylococcus aureus isolated form selected dairies of Algeria: Prevalence and susceptibility to antibiotics, Veterinary World, 12(2): 205-210.
Aim: The objectives of this study were to assess the prevalence of Staphylococcus aureus in raw milk in Algerian dairies, to study the effect of seasons on the contamination of milk and the susceptibility of isolated strains to antibiotics, and to estimate the risk on the health consumer.
Materials and Methods: The ISO method 6888-1 (1) was used for Staphylococcus screening. Antimicrobial susceptibility to the 11most used antibiotics in veterinary medicine was assessed using the disk diffusion assay.
Results: The overall prevalence was 31.56% (95/301); 34.84% (85/244) from raw milk collectors cisterns (MCC), 22.73% (5/22) from mixing tank milk before pasteurization, and 14.29% (5/35) from pasteurized tank milk (p<0.05). A significant difference (p<0.001) of contamination on MCC was observed between dairies without season influence (p≥0.05). It was observed that 49.47% of S. aureus isolates were resistant to penicillin, 5.26% to tetracycline, 4.21% to erythromycin, 3.15% to neomycin, 2.10% to cefoxitin, 2.10% to clindamycin, and 1.05% to ofloxacin. No resistance was observed for vancomycin, gentamicin, chloramphenicol, and trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole.
Conclusion: A high prevalence of S. aureus from MCC was observed without significant effect of season. The pasteurization does not ensure the elimination of bacteria in all samples. Half of the isolates were resistant to penicillin. These findings emphasize the importance of S. aureus control in Algerian milk industry at different levels to improve public health.
Keywords: antibiotic susceptibility, pasteurized milk, raw milk, Staphylococcus aureus.
1. European Food Safety Authority. (2008) Report from the task force on zoonoses data collection including guidance for harmonized monitoring and reporting of antimicrobial resistance in commensal Escherichia coli and Enterococcus spp. from food animals. EFSA J., 141: 1-44.
2. Vahedi, M., Nasrolahei, M., Sharif, M. and Mirabi, A.M. (2013) Bacteriological study of raw and unexpired pasteurized cow's milk collected at dairy farms and supermarkets in Sari city in 2011. J. Prev. Med. Hyg., 54(2): 120-123. [PubMed] [PMC]
3. Pelisser, M.R., Klein, C.S., Ascoli, K.R., Zotti, T.R. and Arisil, A.C.M. (2009) Occurrence of Staphylococcus aureus and multiplex PCR detection of classic enterotoxin genes in cheese and meat products. Braz. J. Microbiol., 40(1): 145-148. [Crossref]
4. Sandel, M.K. and McKillip, J.L. (2004) Virulence and recovery of Staphylococcus aureus relevant to the food using improvement on traditional approaches. Food Control, 15(1): 5-10. [Crossref]
5. Becker, H., Burk, C. and Martlbauer, E. (2007) Staphylokokken-enterotoxine: Bildung, eigenschaften und nachweis. J. Verbr. Lebensm., 2(2): 171-189. [Crossref]
6. Le Loir, Y., Baron, F. and Gautier, M. (2003) Staphylococcus aureus and food poisoning. Genet. Mol. Res., 2(1): 63-67. [PubMed]
7. French Food Safety Agency. (2006) Veterinary use of Antibiotics, Bacterial Resistance and Human Health Consequences. French Food Safety Agency, Markham.
8. Barber, D.A., Miller, G.Y. and McNamara, P.E. (2003) Models of antimicrobial resistance and foodborne illness: Examining assumptions and practical applications. J. Food Prot., 66(4): 700-709. [Crossref]
9. CLSI (2013) Performance Standards for Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing Twenty-Third Informational Supplement. Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute, Wayne, PA, USA.
10. CLSI. (2004) Document M31-S1: Performance Standards for Antimicrobial Disk and Dilution Susceptibility Tests for Bacteria Isolated from Animals; Informational Supplement. 24(17): 1-33.
11. Andre, M.C.D., Campos, M.R.H., Borges, L.J., Kipnis, A., Pimenta, F.C. and Serafini, A.B. (2008) Comparison of Staphylococcus aureus isolates from food handlers, raw bovine milk and minas frescal cheese by antibiogram and pulsed-field gel electrophoresis following Smal digestion. Food Control, 19: 200-207. [Crossref]
12. Belmamoun, A.R., Reguig, K.B., Bouazza, S. and Mustapha, M.D. (2016) Subclinical mastitis on the raw milk as a risk factor for the transmission of Staphylococcus aureus and coagulase-negative staphylococci, multidrug resistance in Sidi Bel Abbes, Algeria. Adv. Environ. Biol., 10(6): 1-11.
13. Titouche, Y., Hakem, A., Salmi, D., Yabrir, B., Chenouf, N., Chergui, A., Chenouf, A. and Houali, K. (2016) Assessment of microbiological quality of raw milk produced at TiziOuzou area (Algeria). Asian J. Anim. Vet. Adv., 11(12): 854-860. [Crossref]
14. Akkou, M., Antri, K., Bachtarzi, M.A., Bes, M., Tristan, A., Dauwalder, O., Kaidi, R., Meugnier, H., Tazir, M., Etienne, J., Laurent, F. and Ramdani-Bouguessa, N. (2016) Phenotypic and genotypic characterization of Staphylococcus aureus strains associated with bovine mastitis and nasal carriage of workers in contact to animals in Algeria. Pak. Vet. J., 36(2): 184-188.
16. Thaker, H.C., Brahmbhatt, M.N. and Nayak, J.B. (2013) Isolation and identification of Staphylococcus aureus from milk and milk products and their drug resistance patterns in Anand, Gujarat. Vet. World, 6(1): 10-13. [Crossref]
17. Fagundes, H., Barchesi, L., Filho, A.N., Ferreira, L.M. and Oliveira, C.A.F. (2010) The occurrence of Staphylococcus aureus in raw milk produced in dairy farms in the saopaulo state, Brazil. Braz. J. Microbiol., 41(2): 376-380. [Crossref]
18. Hamiroune, M., Berber, A. and Boubekeur, S. (2016) Evaluation of the bacteriological quality of raw cow's milk at various stages of the milk production chain on farms in Algeria. Rev. Sci. Tech. Off. Int. Epiz., 35(3): 925-946. [Crossref] [PubMed]
19. De Oliveira, L.P., Barros, L.S.S., Silva, V.C. and Cirqueira, M.G. (2011) Study of Staphylococcus aureus in raw and pasteurized milk consumed in the Reconcavo area of the State of Bahia, Brazil. J. Food Process. Technol., 2(6): 1-5. [Crossref]
20. Bendahon, A., Lebbadi, M., Ennanei, L., Essadqui, F.Z. and Abdin, M. (2008) Characterization of Staphylococcus species isolated from raw milk and milk products (Iben and jben) in North Marocco. J. Infect. Dev. Ctries, 2(3): 218-225.
22. Bonfoh, B., Wasem, A., Traore, A.N., Fane, A., Pillmann, H.S., Simbe, C.F., Alfaroukh, I.O., Nicolet, J., Farah, Z. and Zinsstag, J. (2003) Microbiological quality of cows' milk taken at different intervals from the udder to the selling point in Bamako (Mali). Food Control, 14(7): 495-500. [Crossref]
23. Hamiroune, M., Berber, A. and Boubekeur, S.(2014) Bacteriological quality of raw milk from local and improved markets in the regions of Jijel and Blida (Algeria) and impact on public health. Med. Vet., 158(2): 137-144.
24. Tortora, G.J., Funke, B.R. and Case, C.L. (2004) Microbiologia: An Introduction. 8th ed. Pearson/Benjamin Cummings, San Francisco. p898.
25. Smith, J.L., Buchanan, R.L. and Palumbo, S.A. (1982) Effect of food environment on staphylococcal enterotoxin synthesis-a review. J. Food Prot., 46(6): 545-555. [Crossref]
26. Tebaldi, V.M.R., Oliveira, T.L., Boari, C.C.A. and Piccoli, R.H. (2008) Isolation of coliforms, staphylococci, and enterococci in raw milk from communitarian expansion refrigeration tanks: Identification, lipolytic and proteolytic action. Cienc. Tecnol. Aliment. Camp., 28(3): 753-760. [Crossref]
27. Freitas, J.A., Oliveira, J.P. and Galinda, G.A.R. (2005) Evaluation of milk exposed to consumption in Northern Brazil. Rev. Inst. Adolfo Lutz, 64(2): 212-218.
28. Chapaval, L., Moon, D.H., Gomes, J.E., Duarte, F.R. and Tsai, S.M. (2010) Effect of temperature on production of staphylococcal enterotoxin in milk. Hig. Aliment, 24: 180-181.
29. Jamali, H., Paydar, M., Radmehr, B., Ismail, S. and Dadrasnia, A. (2015) Prevalence and antimicrobial resistance of Staphylococcus aureus isolated from raw milk and dairy products. Food Control, 54: 383-388. [Crossref]
30. LeMens, P., Lefrileux, Y., Tormo, H. and Vernozy-Round, C. (1999) Staphylococcus aureus's growth in the raw milk and goat cheeses. Renc. Rech. Rumin., 6: 299-302.
31. Chaalal, W., Aggad, H., Zidane, K., Saidi, N. and Kihal, M. (2016) Antimicrobial susceptibility profiling of Staphylococcus aureus isolates from milk. Br. Microbiol. Res. J., 13(3): 1-7. [Crossref]
32. Shamila-Syuhada, A.K., Rusul, G., Wan-Nadiah, W.A. and Chuah, L.O. (2016) Prevalence and antibiotics resistance of Staphylococcus aureus isolates isolated from raw milk obtained from small-scale dairy farms in Penang, Malaysia. Pak. Vet. J., 36(1): 98-102.
33. Liu, H., Li, S., Meng, L., Dong, L., Zhao, S., Lan, X., Wang, J. and Zheng, N. (2017) Prevalence, antimicrobial susceptibility, and molecular characterization of Staphylococcus aureus isolated from dairy herds in northern China. J. Dairy Sci., 100(11): 1-8. [Crossref]
34. Jamali, H., Radmehr, B. and Ismail, S. (2014) Prevalence and antibiotic resistance of Staphylococcus aureus isolated from bovine clinical mastitis. J. Dairy Sci., 97(4): 2226-2230. [Crossref] [PubMed]
35. Kateete, D.P., Kabugo, U., Baluku, H., Nyakarahuka, L., Kyobe, S., Okee, M., Najjuka, C.F. and Joloba, M.L. (2013) Prevalence and antimicrobial susceptibility patterns of bacteria from milkmen and cows with clinical mastitis in and around Kampala, Uganda. PLoS One, 8(5): 1-12. [Crossref]36. Swann, M.M., Baxter, K.L., Field, H.I., Howie, J.W., Lucas, I.A.M., Millar, E.L.M., Murdoch, J.C., Parsons, J.H. and White, E.G. (1969) Report of the Joint Committee on the Use of Antimicrobials in Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Medicine. CMND. 4190. HMSO, London.