Article history: Received: 17-10-2018, Accepted: 20-02-2019, Published online: 30-03-2019
Corresponding author: Erkihun Aklilu
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.orgCitation: Othman I, Aklilu E (2019) Marek's disease herpesvirus serotype 1 in broiler breeder and layer chickens in Malaysia, Veterinary World, 12(3): 472-476.
Aim: This study aimed to investigate the occurrence of Marek's disease (MD) in five poultry farms in Malaysia using postmortem examination, histopathology, and polymerase chain reaction (PCR).
Materials and Methods: Tissue samples were collected from 24 broiler breeder chickens from four commercial broiler breeder farms and six layer chickens from one layer farm. Gross and histopathological examinations and PCR amplification of the gene encoding for avian MD herpesvirus (MDV-1) were conducted.
Results: Gross pathological changes including hepatomegaly, splenomegaly, lymphomatous lesion at the mesentery, oviduct atrophy, and follicular atresia with lymphomatous were observed, whereas diffuse multifocal whitish infiltration of the spleen, neoplastic infiltration in the liver, intrafollicular lymphoid infiltration of the bursa of Fabricius, and lymphomatous tumor at the mesentery were seen on histopathological examinations. Confirmation by PCR showed that a total of 16 (53.33%) samples were positive for avian MDV-1. Although the outbreak involved a much larger number of birds in the respective farms, our investigation was limited based on resource and time frame allocated for the study.
Conclusion: The findings from this study help in emphasizing the potential threats of MDV to the poultry industry globally, in general, and in Malaysia, in particular. As the scope of the current study is limited, future studies focusing on MDV pathogenesis, typing, and causes of vaccine failures are recommended.
Keywords: lymphoproliferative diseases, Marek's disease virus-1, Marek's disease, molecular detection, poultry diseases.
1. Van Regenmortel, M.H.V., Fauquet, C.M., Bishop, D.H.L., Carsten, E.B., Estes, M.K., Lemon, S.M., Maniloff, J., Mayo, M., McGeoch, D.J., Pringle, C.R. and Wickner, R.B. (2000) Virus Taxonomy: Seventh Report of the International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses. Academic Press, New York.
3. Witter, R.L. and Schat, K.A. (2003) Marek's disease. In: Saif, Y.M., Barness, H.J., Glisson, J.R., Fadly, A.M., McDougald, L.R. and Swayne, D.E. editor. Diseases of Poultry. 11th ed. Iowa State University Press, Ames, Iowa, USA. p407-465.
4. OIE. (2010) Manual of Diagnostic and Vaccine for Terrestrial Animals. Version Adopted by the World Assembly of Delegates of the OIE in May 2010. World Health Organization for Animal Health (OIE), Paris, France.
5. Baigent, S.J. and Davison, F. (2004) Marek's disease virus: Biology and life cycle. In: Marek's Disease: An Evolving Problem. Elsevier Academic Press, London, United Kingdom. p62-77. [Crossref]
6. Becker, Y., Asher, Y., Tabor, E., Davidson, I., Malkinson, M. and Weisman, Y. (1992) Polymerase chain reaction for differentiation between pathogenic and non-pathogenic serotype 1 Marek's disease virus (MDV) and vaccine viruses of MDV-serotypes 2 and 3. J. Virol. Methods, 40(3): 307-322. [Crossref]
7. Davidson, I., Borovskaya, A., Perl, S. and Malkinson, M. (1995) Use of the polymerase chain reaction for the diagnosis of natural infection of chickens and turkeys with Marek's disease virus and reticuloendotheliosis virus. Avian Pathol., 24(1): 69-94. [Crossref] [PubMed]
8. Frank, F. (2001) Marek's disease: History, actual and future perspectives. Lohmann Inform. 2001(25): 1-5.
9. Lawhale, N.S., Singh, A., Deka, D., Singh, R. and Verma, R. (2014) Detection of Marek's disease virus meq gene in feather follicle by loop-mediated isothermal amplification. IOSR J. Agric. Vet. Sci., 7(3): 19-24. [Crossref]
10. Payne, L.N. and Venugopal, K. (2010) Neoplastic diseases: Marek's disease, avian leukosis and reticuloendotheliosis. Rev. Sci. Tech., 19(2): 544-564.
12. Norimah, A.K., Safiah, M., Jamal, K., Zuhaida, H., Rohida, S., Fatimah, S., Norazlin, S., Poh, B., Kandiah, M., Zalilah, M.S., Wan Manan, W.M., Fatimah, S. and Azmi, M.Y. (2008) Food consumption patterns: Findings from the Malaysian adult nutrition survey (MANS). Malays. J. Nutr., 14(1): 25-39. [PubMed]
13. Abdel-Latif, M.M. and Khalafalla, I.I. (2005) Detection by PCR of multiple subgroups of avian leukosis virus (ALV) in broilers in Sudan. J. Anim. Vet. Adv., 4(3): 407-413.
14. Handberg, K.J., Nielsen, O.L. and Jorgensen, P.H. (2001) The use of serotype 1-and serotype 3-specific polymerase chain reaction for the detection of Marek's disease virus in chickens. Avian Pathol., 30(3): 243-249. [Crossref] [PubMed]
15. Suresh, P., Rajeswar, J.J., Sukumar, K., Srinivasan, P. and Harikrishnan, T.J. (2013) Incidence of Marek's disease in vaccinated flocks. J. Food Agric. Vet. Sci., 3(1): 200-202.
18. Islam, A., Harrison, B., Cheetham, B.F., Mahony, T.J., Young, P.L. and Walkden-Brown, S.W. (2004) Differential amplification and quantitation of Marek's disease viruses using real-time polymerase chain reaction. J. Virol. Methods, 119(2): 103-113. [Crossref] [PubMed]
19. Baigent, S.J., Petherbridge, L.J., Howes, K., Smith, L.P., Currie, R.J.W. and Nair, V. (2005) Absolute quantitation of Marek's disease virus genome copy number in chicken feather and lymphocyte samples using real-time PCR. J. Virol. Methods, 123(1): 53-64. [Crossref] [PubMed]
20. Abdul-Careem, M.F., Hunter, B.D., Nagy, E., Read, L.R., Sanei, B., Spencer, J.L. and Sharif, S. (2006) Development of a real-time PCR assay using SYBR Green chemistry for monitoring Marek's disease virus genome load in feather tips. J. Virol. Methods, 133(1): 34-40. [Crossref] [PubMed]
21. Burgess, S.C. and Davison, T.F. (1999) A quantitative duplex PCR technique for measuring amounts of cell-associated Marek's disease virus: Differences in two populations of lymphoma cells. J. Virol. Methods, 82(1): 27-37. [Crossref]
22. Reddy, S.M., Witter, R.L. and Gimeno, I.M. (2000) Development of a quantitative-competitive polymerase chain reaction assay for serotype 1 Marek's disease virus. Avian Dis., 44(4): 770-775. [Crossref]
23. Davidson, I. and Borenshtain, R. (2002) The feather tips of commercial chickens are a favorable source of DNA for the amplification of MDV and ALV-J. Avian Pathol., 31(3): 237-240. [Crossref] [PubMed]
24. Bumstead, N., Sillibourne, J., Rennie, M., Ross, N. and Davison, F. (1997) Quantification of Marek's disease virus in chicken lymphocytes using the polymerase chain reaction with fluorescence detection. J. Virol. Methods, 65(1): 75-81. [Crossref]
25. Choudat, D., Dambrine, G., Delemotte, B. and Coudert, F. (1996) Occupational exposure to poultry and prevalence of antibodies against Marek's disease virus and avian leukosis retroviruses. J. Occup. Environ. Med., 53(6): 403-410. [Crossref]
26. Laurent, S., Esnault, E., Dambrine, G., Goudeau, A., Choudat, D. and Rasschaert, D. (2001) Detection of avian oncogenic Marek's disease herpesvirus DNA in human sera. J. Gen. Virol., 82(1): 233-240. [Crossref] [PubMed]27. MacLea, K.S. and Cheng, H.H. (2007) The threat of Marek's disease: Virus is expanding. Microbe, 2(5): 238-243. [Crossref]