Article history: Received: 09-08-2018, Accepted: 19-11-2018, Published online: 02-01-2019
Corresponding author: Fetta Mehouel
E-mail: email@example.comCitation: Mehouel F, Bouayad L, Hammoudi AH, Ayadi O, Regad F (2019) Evaluation of the heavy metals (mercury, lead, and cadmium) contamination of sardine (Sardina pilchardus) and swordfish (Xiphias gladius) fished in three Algerian coasts, Veterinary World, 12(1): 7-11.
Aim: This study aimed to evaluate mercury (Hg), cadmium (Cd), and lead (Pb) levels in 70 samples of sardine (Sardina pilchardus) and 30 samples of swordfish (Xiphias gladius) fished in the Algerian coasts.
Materials and Methods: After the mineralization of the fish samples through the pressure digestion, the analyses were carried out by inductively coupled plasma atomic emission spectroscopy.
Results: Mean concentrations of Hg, Cd, and Pb in sardine were 0.62, 0.55, and 2.13 mg/kg wet weight, respectively, while in swordfish, the concentrations were 0.56, 0.57, and 3.9 mg/kg wet weight, respectively. These results exceeded the Algerian and European legislation threshold values, whereas Hg's concentration in swordfish remained close to and did not exceed the recommended thresholds (0.56 mg/kg wet weight).
Conclusion: This fish may represent a hazard for consumers in Algeria. Systematic and periodic controls of heavy metals in fish are recommended, and risk assessment is needed to protect the consumer.
Keywords: atomic emission spectroscopy, fish, hazard, heavy metal, sardine, swordfish.
1. Olmedo, P., Pla, A., Hernandez, A.F., Barbier, F., Ayouni, L. and Gil, F. (2013) Determination of toxic elements (mercury, cadmium, lead, tin and arsenic) in fish and shellfish samples. Risk assessment for the consumers. Environ. Int., 59: 63-72. [Crossref]
2. Elhussien, M.E. and Adwok, B.A. (2018) Determination of heavy metals in fish and water of White Nile during watery diarrhea outbreak from June to July, 2017, Gezira Aba-Sudan. Sci. J. Anal. Chem., 6(1): 1-6.
3. Genc, T.O. and Yilmaz, F. (2018) Heavy metals content in water, sediment, and fish (Mugil cephalus) from Koycegiz lagoon system in Turkey: Approaches for assessing environmental and health risk. J. Agric. Sci. Technol., 20(1): 71-82.
4. El-Moselhy, K.M., Othman, A.I., Abd El-Azem, H. and El-Metwally, M.E.A. (2014) Bioaccumulation of heavy metals in some tissues of fish in the Red Sea, Egypt. Egypt. J. Basic Appl. Sci., 1(2): 97-105. [Crossref]
5. Canli, M., Kalay, M. and Ay, O. (2001) Metal (Cd, Pb, Cu, Zn, Fe, Cr, Ni) concentrations in tissues of a fish Sardina pilchardus and prawn Peaenus japonicas from three stations on the Mediterranean Sea. Bull. Environ. Contam. Toxicol., 67(1): 75-82. [PubMed]
6. Chahid, A., Hilali, M., Benlhachimi, A. and Bouzid, T. (2014) Contents of cadmium, mercury and lead in fish from the Atlantic sea (Morocco) determined by atomic absorption spectrometry. Food Chem., 147: 357-360. [Crossref] [PubMed]
7. Jinadasa, B.K.K., Rameesha, L.R.S., Edirisinghe, E.M.R. and Rathnayake, R.M.U. (2010) Mercury, cadmium and lead levels in three commercially important marine fish species of in Sri Lanka. Sri Lanka J. Aquat. Sci., 15: 39-43. [Crossref]
9. Ministry of Fisheries and Fishery Resources. (2014) Statistical Data of the National Production of Sardine in Algeria. Ministry of Fisheries and Fishery Resources.
10. Ministry of Spatial Planning and Environment. (2003) State of the Environment Report. Ministry of Spatial Planning and Environment.
11. GDF/SDFS/SDFQ/N2010-8303. (2011) Chemical Contaminants Monitoring Plan of the Aquatic Environment in the Products of the Fishing Program. p2-6.
12. Zaza, S., De Balogh, K., Palmery, P., Pastorelli, A.A. and Stacchini, P. (2015) Human exposure in Italy to lead, cadmium and mercury through fish and seafood product consumption from Eastern central Atlantic fishing area. J. Food Compos. Anal., 40: 148-153. [Crossref]
13. Waldichuk, M. (1977) Global Marine Pollution: Overview. Inter-Governmental Oceanographic Commission Technical Series, Canada. p104.
14. El Morhit, M., Fekhaoui, M., El abidi, A. and Yahyaoui, A. (2012) Metallic contamination of the muscles of five species of fish in the lower Loukkos estuary (Moroccan Atlantic coast). Sci. Lib., 4: 2111-4706.
15. Amani, S., Lamia, A. and Albedair, L.A. (2012) Evaluation of some heavy metals in certain fish, meat and meat products in Saudi Arabian markets. Egypt. J. Aquat. Res., 38(1): 45-49. [Crossref]
16. El Morhit, M., Fekhaoui, M., El Morhit, A., Elie, P. and Yahyaoui, A. (2013) Hydrochemical characteristics and metallic quality in fish in the Loukkos river estuary of Morocco. J. Mater. Environ. Sci., 4(6): 893-904.
17. Yabanli, M. (2013) Assessment of the heavy metal contents of Sardina pilchardus sold in Izmir, Turkey. Ekoloji, 22(87): 10-15.
18. Jinadasa, B.K.K., Edirisinghe, E.M.R. and Wickramasinghe, I. (2013) Total mercury content, weight and length relationship in swordfish (Xiphias gladius) in Sri Lanka. Food Addit. Contam., 6(4): 244-248. [Crossref] [PubMed]
19. Kagi, J.H. and Schaffer, A. (1998) Biochemistry of metallothione. Biochemistry, 27(23): 8509-8515. [Crossref]
20. Moualek, M. (1992) The Bioaccumulation Approach in Swordfish (Xiphias gladius) Fished in Ghazaouat by the Determination of Certain Heavy Metals (Fe, Zn, Pb, Cu, Hg and Cd). End-of-Study Dissertation. Higher National School of Marine Sciences and Coastal Planning (ENSSMAL) Algiers. p117.
21. Chikouche, A., Benbouabdellah, S.S., Djerroud, D.D., Lamara, N., Abtroun, R. and Alamir, B. (2014) Estimation of Mercury Contamination Level of the Fish from Algiers Shores. International Congress. Global Environmental Contamination: Challenges for the Well-Being of the Human Brain, Luxembourg, France.
22. Kim, J.H. and Kang, J.C. (2015) The lead accumulation and haematological findings in juvenile rock fish (Sebastes schlegelii) exposed to the dietary lead(II)concentrations. Ecotoxicol. Environ. Saf., 115: 33-39. [Crossref] [PubMed]
23. Laaz, I. and Makhloufi, M. (2011) Assessment of Marine Pollution at the Bay of Oran. Final Dissertation. University of Science and Technology of Oran-Mohamed BOUDIAF. Option: Waste Management and Ecosystem Pollution. p65.
24. Ghorab, I. and Khebbeb, M.H. (2012) Assessment of heavy metal concentrations (lead, cadmium and zinc) in three crustacean species fished for in two regions of Eastern Algeria. Ann. Biol. Res., 3(6): 2838-2842.
25. Ouldali, O., Chikh-Salah, H. and Hadjadj, S. (2012) Evaluation of the Mercury Content in Sardines (Sardina pilchardus) of the Algerian coasts. International Symposium on Biosafety of Ecosystems. Faculty of Sciences of Nature and Life and Laboratory of Agro-Biotechnology and Nutrition in Semi-Arid Zone. Ibn Khaldoun University of Tiaret, Algeria. p57.26. Official Journal of the Algerian Republic Inter-ministerial Order of 30 Moharram 1432 Corresponding (2011) Fixing the presence of threshold levels of chemical contaminants.